10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

propliners with only 2 crew members

This may not be the right section for this but I've been curious if anyone knows of any propliners that only required 2 crew members to operate. I have a passion for these birds especially the classics like the DC-6 but none of them really seem to be suitable for cockpit building due to the need for an engineer's station and sometimes a navigator.

All i've found so far that fit the mould is the C-130/L-100, the C-27, and the Dash 8. Any help filling out this list would be greatly appreciated.

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Re: propliners with only 2 crew members

Beech 1900?? ATR 42/72?

DC-1, DC-2, DC3/C47, C-46, C-119, Beech 18, King Air, SAAB, Duke, Baron, Dove, DHC-5, Piaggio Avanti, Cessna Centurion. Just to name a few.
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

10+ Posting Member

thanks guys. Got quite a few airframes to try out now. it would be really nice to be able to cover something like the Lockheed constellation, the DC-6 or the Boeing stratocruiser but the requirement of a flight engineer to be able to properly fly these put them a little outside of me being able to model them for a cockpit

10+ Posting Member

What about the BN Islander and the DH6 Twin Otter. As they are both STOL aircraft they can fly into and out of some pretty interesting airports. I am planning my cockpit around one ot other of these. I haven't quite settled on which yet though I'm swinging towards the Twin Otter because it has higher altitude capability and can handle the Himalayas better. The Twin Otter's ceiling is around 26,000 feet the Islander half that. I have tried flying the Islander out of Paro in Bhutan and it's a real pig getting it to climb out of the valley. The turbo prop Otter manages far better. The Islander is designed to be flown by a pilot alone and I don't think the Otter is much different, though if you watch YouTube clips of them in operation Otters tend to have co-pilots.
    I want to build a cockpit with a co-pilot seat so I can share the sim experience.