Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New member building a Cessna 172 Sim

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and starting with a Cessna 172 sim.

I've started with a new PC with a good graphic card, FSX and large screen plus two smaller ones for instruments.

I might need a bit of help later however.

Jim

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: New member building a Cessna 172 Sim

Welcome Jim,

There are lots of resources available if you need help. Just ask, sir. Look forward to your progress.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Jim,

Welcome to the low and slow club! Looking forward to seeing posts about progress on your build. As Reid said, you'll find plenty of resources here and several of us doing similar builds so don't hesitate to ask questions and contribute ideas.

Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Good luck with the project, there are some very experienced men and women on this forum, so feel free to fire away any questions.

Welcome aboard.....

Alex (Essex)

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mongo View Post
    Welcome Jim,

There are lots of resources available if you need help. Just ask, sir. Look forward to your progress.

Reid
    Hi Reid,

I appreciate your speedy reply and look forward to contributing as and when I can.

There is something that I am struggling with - Multiple screens. I have read and read up about this but nothing quite solves the issue.

Please let me know if this isn't the appropriate place or correct approach.

I have FSX Gold with service pack 2. I using windows 7 with a 1920 x 1080 as my main display with a 1600 x 900 and 1440 x 900 for other displays. I started with the standard C172 in 3D view on the main screen, then enabled the instrument panel, radio stack, gps then dragged them to the smaller screens. I got everything how I wanted it (for now) but cannot seem to save the setup.

After reloading FSX and my flight I couldn't see the instrument, radio stack, gps on one occasion I was see an intermittent hour glass.

I can see that other people having something similar but I couldn't follow anything to a solution.

I can see that there are many factors from o/s, number and size of screens, full screen or not, I also stretched the instrument panel oversize so that the instruments filled the screen.

Its very frustrating, is it possible to resolve this?

Thank you

Jim

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Tom

10+ Posting Member

Hi Reid, Alex and Tom,

Thank you for your replies and kind offers of help.

There is something that I have to fix before I can move on and is stopping me at present - multi screens.

Sorry if this is the wrong area or approach for this, I've read a lot of articles but they either do not match or do not fix the problem I am having.

All of my screens work fine in Windows 7 where I have my main screen 32" 1920 x 1080 then 20" 1600 x 900 and 19" 1440 x 900 in that order.

I start up FSX on the main screen in 3D cockpit, come out of fullscreen, then start up instrument panel, undock that and move it to the 1600 x 900, then same for the radio stack and gps on the 1440 x 900. I have stretched the instrument panel oversized so that the instruments fill the 1600 x 900 screen.

I can then have a good flight using the instruments. I save the config and the flight but when I reload FSX I loose the instruments, radio and GPS. I have redone this over and over following advice on the various articles but this have the same problem. The screens are all on the same graphics card. I have noticed that sometime I have a hourglass alternating with the mouse pointer but I appear to have that much power that the main screen just appears to continue as normal. I suspect the displays are there but not in view.

I have installed FSX to the defaults along with Service Pack 2, then re-installed again in c:\fsx\. I have JustFlight VFR Real Scenery loaded.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it?

Thanks

Jim

I have had some challenges with this on my desktop pit but have not solved for them yet to my satisfaction. In my permanent sim pit I may be running the instrument panel on a separate pc using an add on instrument panel application so until I come to that point in my build I have been somewhat tolerant of it for the desk top.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

500+ This must be a daytime job

I am not as advanced with displays as you Jim. I am planning for just outside views as I hope eventually to have a steam gauge panel.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

10+ Posting Member

Hi Tom,

I had noticed that many people used a separate PC for extra views, perhaps this is the reason.

Thanks

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast