Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Compartment temperature?

Hi Nico,

I am now building the panel of the air conditioning. For setting the compartment temperatures i read the following in your manual:

A drawback of a rotary encoder solution for the Compartment Temperature Set Switches is that it’s very hard (or even impossible) to tell the value from the position of the rotary encoder (you need a potentiometer for that). The following alternative (recommended!) Vars 195 – 220 are meant for use of a rotary Switch with 8 positions and 45 degrees per step. This will fit perfectly with the real Switch position in the panel:
    I have a few questions:
    1. If i use Potentiometers, can i connect these withe inputs of the mastercard or do i need to use the connections for axes?
    2. Which Potentiometers do i have to use? How many ohm?

But maybe indeed the simplest way is to use the rotary switch

Kind regards,
    Kees Schroijen

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim kiek's Avatar

Re: Compartment temperature?

Hi Kees,

You better use a rotary switch (recommended) or a rotary encoder.

A potentiometer cannot be connected to a master card input, you have to connect it to an analoque axis input. This axis value has to be converted by a sioc script to a value for a lekseecon variable. You better do this directly via an encoder, or even better with a rotary switch.

I'll update my Manual.

regards,
    Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 11-12-2012 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Posting Member

Thank you Nico,

You recommend a rotary switch with 8 positions, i assume, it is no problem to use a 12 positions switch in which i block 4 positions. In that cas the several positions are a little bit closer to each other. The reason I ask is that i can't find an 8 positions switch, not by Reichelt and also not at the Conrad site. Ans i have 12 positions switches at home.

in your script, i saw that you didn't program the Compartment temperature switches. But i assume, i can program them on the same way that you programmed the Pack switches?

Kind regards,
    Kees Schroijen

150+ Forum Groupie

Hello Kees and Nico.

My plan is to use Pots where it should be (As real as it gets)

I expect to install a USBexpansion in the OH and then you’ll have 4 A/D
    and I plan for at least one USBServo board and that gives you another 4 A/D.
    And if you need more A/D's, buy more USBServo's - they are cheap (21€).
    I think we have about 11 pots in the OH.

Just some thoughts.
    Regards,
    Per-Erik
    www.hoddo.net

Quote Originally Posted by kees69 View Post
    You recommend a rotary switch with 8 positions, i assume, it is no problem to use a 12 positions switch in which i block 4 positions.
    No, it will be a problem because the positions will not match with the pre-defined values in lekseecon. You have to use a 8 position rotary switch (45 degrees steps). You can buy these for instance at the Opencockpits sales site, EUR 6.50 a piece.

But i assume, i can program them on the same way that you programmed the Pack switches?
    Yes indeed, just link each terminal to a variable.
    "gemakkelijker kunnen we het niet maken..."

Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 11-12-2012 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Nico,

No, it will be a problem because the positions will not match with the pre-defined values in lekseecon.
    Now i am a little confused about my programming skills ... Each click of the rotary switch will give another input. If i link that given input with the different var's of the different positions, why will it then be a problem for Lekseecon. Lekseecon can't see if it is a 12 or 8 position switch, it only receives the given input. In my opinion, Lekseecon doesn't notice if the turn is 30 degrees or 45 degree, or am i wrong?
    "Wel leuker...."

Kind regards,
    Kees Schroijen

PS: Ben je nog naar FSweekend geweest? Dan had je mijn progressie kunnen bewonderen bij de stand van de FSCB (Flight simulator club Belgium)

Lekseecon can't see if it is a 12 or 8 position switch, it only receives the given input. In my opinion, Lekseecon doesn't notice if the turn is 30 degrees or 45 degree, or am i wrong?
    lekseecon ASSUMES turns of 45 degrees; the value range of 0, 18, 34, 50, 66, 82, 105 (see Manual section 2.27) corrresponds with steps of 45 degrees.
    If you take a rotary switch with 30 degrees steps, the position of the knob in the panel will not be synchronous with your rotary switch...

regards,
    Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 11-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Nico,

I have tested it with a 12 position rotary switch and the knob in FS turns correct if i turn the switch. Offcourse in FS the knob turns 45 degrees with each click, where in my panel I turn it only 30 degrees. It is not as real, but for me it is enough realistic if i can turn a real knob instead of clicking with a mouse in a screen . And yes, i will have to modify my drawing of the Airco panel with 30 degrees indicators. This is a compromis with which i can live for now.

Regards,
    Kees

Hi Kees,
    Good to hear lekseecon is doing its job well.
    But I still don't understand why you are not using 8 position rotary switches...

regards,
    Nico
    P.S. Ik ben de halve zaterdag op FSWeekend geweest, maar voornamelijk in die hal waar die echte vliegtuigen staan. Volgend jaar kom ik jouw voortgang bewonderen. Een volledig Overhead panel moet dan wel af kunnen zijn

10+ Posting Member

Hi Nico,

Lekseecon is doing it's job very well, but i was allready convinced of that the first time i used it ...

The reason i use 12 position switches is simple because i have a dozen of them at home. And these I can buy for only € 1,65 at Reichelt in Germany. So i almost save 5 euro for each switch. And my goal is to build my cockpit as real as it gets, but also as cheap as it gets, so you have to do some compromises here and then. And this one is one with which I can live.

Regards,
    Kees

PS. Volgend jaar ben ik er zeker wil bij en ik zal mijn best doen om de overhead af te hebben , als het goed is komener geen nieuwe kindjes meer bij

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast