Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Motion Cueing Software

I'm currently looking into building a small scale 6 degree of freedom motion platform. Since my day job is as a programmer I thought I'd try to write the controller software before investing in hardware.

I've been able to use the SimConnect SDK to get data out of flight simulator, but I don't know how to proceed in translating this data into cues for the platform.

Every thing I've found on the topic is a PhD level paper that goes beyond my knowledge to decipher.

Does anyone know any websites or books that go through the next steps needed?

Thanks!

Also, if I'm able to find the information to continue, and there's interest, I'm willing to write up my progress on here or on a blog to assist other people wanting to do the same.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Motion Cueing Software

Hi,
    Try this link, Jim had been a Motion Platform junkie from way back. He frequents this site with his Link2fs program. Im sure he will be
    able to give u some guidence.

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm

Hope this helps.
    Les

300+ Forum Addict

Also, look at X-sim.de
    This site is stacked with a sorts of motion plaforms and Q&A
    greetz

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Steve
    next step is to output the values you've extracted from FS into the real world. You can use Jim's excellent Links2fs which will send the data out of a serial port. Of course you need to send this data to some hardware to drive your motion platform. Several ways of doing this.

Professional way is a DC or AC motor controller (if you are using electric motors for your linear motion control) which accepts serial commands. This is the most expensive but most modern motor controllers have built in PID loops, current limiting, speed controls as well as closed loop control so you would connect a position feedback pot direct to the motor controller and just send a position command to the motor controller. Obviously this is also the most expensive way.

Cheaper alternative which requires more software writing by you is to use hobby type cards such as the Arduino or the Velleman 8055 cards to accept the serial data in, accept the position feedback pots and output a voltage or current signal to drive motor control cards. These are needed as power drivers for your motors.

You could of course go for hydraulic or pneumatic controls for your 6dof, but you would still need the data from FS sent out to whatever controls your proportional controls(hyd or pneumatic).

First decision is how far do you want to go and how deep are your pockets?

regards
    geoff

10+ Posting Member

Hi Steve
    I am at about your stage. I have got data out of FSX, but I have to say I'm taking a much simpler route of a 2DOF platform. If I can get that to work, I'll move on to more degrees of freedom.
    I have got C routines (plagiarised from the instrument software on Dave Ault's Learjet 45 Chimera website) to get the data out and I have got a Velleman 8055 USB interface card which accommodates digital and analogue inputs and outputs. My plan is to use a couple of linear pots to sense the pitch and roll (all that's required for 2DOF) angles of the platform, compare that to the required angle (calculated from the FSX data) and switch motors to drive the platform in the required direction.
    The alternative that I've been looking at is using the PWM output facility that the 8055 provides. This could be used to drive what I see as like a beefed up Radio Control Servo.
    The only problem I've had so far is getting the 8055 to work. They come in kit form and my soldering isn't the best so I'm on my second kit.
    Cheers
    Tom