150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FSX Out of memory error

When flying low in FTX North American scenery or sometimes after a long flight and landing at a dense scenery airport I get out of memory errors and FSX shuts down. Would adding 8GB more memory help or is it a memory management problem. I know my graphics cards are getting dated. I've been eyeing the EVGA GTX 680 4GB but I will have to wait for the price to come down. Not sure if that would help with the out of memory errors anyway.

Jerry

Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard Intel i7 2700K @ 3.50 Ghz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 800MHz DDR3-2000 PC-16000
    Evga GTX 285 DDR3
    Evga 8800 GT 512MB DDR3
    Seagate 500GB SATA II
    Seagate 1.5TB SATA II
    SanDisk 2.40GB SSD (FSX)
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Cooler Master 1200w PS
    Matrox TripleHeadToGo
    (3) Samsung 46” HDTVs-Front surround view
    ViewSonic 22” LCD-Left view
    Aesus 23” LCD-Right view
    Windows 7 64-bit

300+ Forum Addict

Re: FSX Out of memory error

As a quick check, is your memory 1 stick or 2? If 2 swap the slots they're in just for sake of testing it... Otherwise, your system is a great setup, so you should not be having these issues. Also, when did the error start? Was it right after inital install or after you installed an addon?

Use W7 System Restore and restore you system just prior to this issue starting, as you could've got a problem coming from a Windows update. In any case, if isn't the memory stick, it will be the software issues. Although, make sure your video card fan is clean and you're not overheating your video card...check the temps while flying in heavy areas.

You'd be surprised what heat can do with CTD or Blue Screen of Death (BSD) happening. By chance are you overclocking your rig? If so, check cpu fan/coolers as well. Post back your findings.

BSD

Check this out as a possible solution: Flight Simulator and Virtual Aviation Blog: Fix FSX out of memory (oom) errors

I have not run into the OOM issue yet so I have not applied the suggested fix. I found it while was doing some reading about optimization for fsx in prep for adding some new more complex scenery. When I saw your post I thought I would pass on what I had found.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

150+ Forum Groupie

I've had this problem only occasionally, usually after a 2 hour flight to a dense scenery airport such as FSDreamteam KLAX. I have also had problems in dense scenery with aircraft parts missing on some AI aircraft (ex. nothing but wheels and lights) and even on my own plane. I'm using Project Magenta so I fly mainly default 737s and 747s. A few days ago I installed FTX Harvey Field. Couldn't believe I actually cleared the trees on that short runway (2750') in a 737. A few seconds later I got an out of memory error & FSX shut down. I tried it again and made it about 30 seconds longer. I tried running "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2560" from the command prompt to give FSX more memory but I got an error message saying "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied". Not sure why its not working. I haven't tried swapping my memory modules yet, getting to them is kind of a chore and I haven't had the time. Just recently cleaned my case and fans so I don't think that's an issue. I did use the Asus utility to overclock my CPU to 4.9Ghz but I use their Auto Tuning rather than tinker with it myself. Sometimes the cpu temp reaches 76.0 C. Is that too hot? I told a tec at Micro Center where I purchased my MB/cpu and he said as long as I was using the automated overclocking utility it wouldn't allow temps that would damage the system. I'm still a little concerned about that though.

Jerry

300+ Forum Addict

To me that seems hot! Mine averages around 35-43C and up to 63-65C when in heavy areas. I am OC a I7 2600K to 4.5Ghz, but I tried 4.7Ghz just this past weekend and I got "Out of Memory errors and BSD" The temps were up near 78-83C and that is too hot.

I have 7 fans and a double water cooler, so even though cooling is happening, it isn't enough. I suggest you back off your OC to 4.5Ghz and start from there. If it remains stable after a while, you can try .1 at a time.

Although, I suggest, you use the Windows Restore function and roll back before the last add-on. If it works then you have to make other adjustments somewhere else to use it. By the way, you can always roll it back forward with Windows Restore... I'd say work the OC back off first and then the add-on. More than likely, in my best guess, it is the OC level and heat.

BSD

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks guys. I'll try both of those ideas. Something else. I couldn't access this thread from my email or by clicking on it in the Hardware Forum. I had to click on the name of whoever posted to it last and View Forum Posts in order to open it. Never had to do that before.

Jerry

150+ Forum Groupie

BSD

I think you may be right. I slowed down to 4.5Ghz and I'm no longer getting warning messages about cpu temps. I still got 2 OOM messages today. One shut FSX down, the second one I ignored and kept flying for almost an hour in FTX scenery and never had another problem. I still wish that I had gotten an EVGA board instead of Asus. They just seem to have fewer problems. I will probably go back to EVGA next time.

Jerry

300+ Forum Addict

Hi Jerry,

Good thing you backed your cpu down, overheating would eventually fry it. EVGA or ASUS are both good, but it usually is due to setups in the bios or even jumpers not set correctly on the board that can cause issues. Also, using auto tuning overclocking is not all that good because it is for people who have limited experience in OC'ing. The problem is OC requires matching inputs to work right.

In other words, you have to match the parameters of your hardware to the values of your OC settings. For example, you could have the voltage on the ram like .1 to high and that is causing your ram to freak out; however, autotuning is setting a stable value based on a running variable to get a good working average value, which might not always be a good value for the ram itself even though it is working okay.

If I were you, I would figure all the values for your OC manually, and then work at running stabilizing benchmark tests to insure it is stable, as well as run stress tests for 24-48 hours. The thing is, everytime you make adjustments you should repeat the test; thus, that is why OC'ing is hard because it takes so long...when done correctly.

Finally, I'd advise you to use your System Restore to just roll back to point of previous addon installs. If you have 3-4 in the last few months, go back one at a time, try FSX after each roll back to see if you get the same OOM error. Once you get to point of knowing which addon install it is, you can then roll back forward to today in System Restore, and then work on the addon that is the problem with the developer. You should check your log files for Windows to see what the error actually states is the problem, as that will help a lot.

Another example for me, I installed GSX update and I started getting the g3d.dll error that is very common. The problem was the developer says that GSX is fixed and will not cause the error, yet there it was in front me. So, I followed my advice above, and then solved it by updating FSUIPC of all things. My point is, your problems were two; the first was overheating and the other is an addon, so the good news is you fixed the worst of the two...and you will be able to the fix the other by trial/error method.

Best Regards,

BSD