Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    VMD

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Random Pics Of My GA Build

Me and my boy finally had the time to work on his sim today. So far so good.

172SP/RG

2. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    Likes No Longer Active liked this post
    25+ Posting Member

Hi Louie, I noticed you were building a GN430 on another page. Just to let you know, that Mindstar Aviation have released their version ofGarmin GNS 430-530 with supports AIRAC navdata updates. I use their G1000 software suite.

Check it out here. http://www.mindstaraviation.com/

Your parts and cockpit look great.

I was thinking of getting a 3D printer to do some knobs for the G1000 etc, I noticed a video of you doing some on the 3D printer. How did they turn out ? and how long did they take ? I do also have a CNC machine, but thought the 3D printer would be better. What do you think ?

VMD

Glareshield is done, not the best but do you think a 10 year old boy would be that picky? lol

Quote Originally Posted by hexpope View Post
    Hi Louie, I noticed you were building a GN430 on another page. Just to let you know, that Mindstar Aviation have released their version ofGarmin GNS 430-530 with supports AIRAC navdata updates. I use their G1000 software suite.

Check it out here. http://www.mindstaraviation.com/

Your parts and cockpit look great.

I was thinking of getting a 3D printer to do some knobs for the G1000 etc, I noticed a video of you doing some on the 3D printer. How did they turn out ? and how long did they take ? I do also have a CNC machine, but thought the 3D printer would be better. What do you think ?
    Wow thanks for sharing that. Too bad they didn't include the Garmin GTX on their software =(

Consumer level 3D printer is not all that great when it comes to fabricating parts with fine details such as the pattern around the g1000 knobs. They are only good for making quick parts but not recommended for production. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion.

Ever consider laser sintering?

You can also use a lathe to make knobs but it requires additional process to achieve the pattern like put it in a rotary attachment while laser etching the piece. I have done it numerous times =)

Are you building a 1040a ?

5. Likes hexpope liked this post
    25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Mendez View Post
    Wow thanks for sharing that. Too bad they didn't include the Garmin GTX on their software =(

Consumer level 3D printer is not all that great when it comes to fabricating parts with fine details such as the pattern around the g1000 knobs. They are only good for making quick parts but not recommended for production. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion.

Ever consider laser sintering?

You can also use a lathe to make knobs but it requires additional process to achieve the pattern like put it in a rotary attachment while laser etching the piece. I have done it numerous times =)

Are you building a 1040a ?

yeah I wasn't looking at a production way, just for myself or a friend. I have a rotary attachment for my CNC so I will probably use that instead.

Regarding the 3Dprinting, I was thinking of using the laser alright, but using a Z axis and a diode laser instead, I know the resin is expensive, but I couldn't afford the Laser Sintering method to be honest.

Something like this.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...printer-and-sc

But I am probably going to make an order from VRinsight for the dual rotary encoders knobs for the dual ALPS encoders with a few friends, to cut down the shipping costs as they are cheap knobs, but the shipping cost is 40 euros

Or just knuckle down into making them on the CNC machine.

As in regards the cockpit avionics I am in the process of designing, is the full G1000 systems for the Cessna Citation Mustang, and I mean everything from the fuses upwards while future proofing it for the real deal avionic package that will come to the market.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

I think you could probably tighten or stretch the vinyl a little more on the underside of the glareshield. I think a few of those creases could be eliminated under the glareshield. Just my 2 cents! Overall looking excellent!
    GA or the Highway!

8. Likes Louie Mendez liked this post
    VMD

Thanks Al, I was able to stretch the vinyl using a heat gun. I'm going to have my buddy professionally re-upholstered the glareshield since I have to get my yokes covered anyway.

@ hexpope
    40 euros is a lot of dineros for shipping =/
    How soon do you need the knobs? I have some Stang parts I'll get them posted when I have time.

25+ Posting Member

Louie...

Sorry, just got up off the floor and wiped the drool away! UnBELIEVABLE work, sir! WOW! Okay... So... WHEN are the bezels available? Want em all!

Also, are you planning to market the MIP panels these are mounted to?

Can't wait...

Dale

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Mendez View Post
    @ hexpope
    40 euros is a lot of dineros for shipping =/
    How soon do you need the knobs? I have some Stang parts I'll get them posted when I have time.
    Hi Louie, it is alot for shipping, and thats for only 1, but I think 40 euros is the max no matter what you get from their website, either way, that's the only product that appeals to me that Vrinsight sell.

I am certainly in no rush to be honest. I have the autopilot completed in and tested in Diptrace along with other parts like the keypad. All the switch panels are done. G1k and MFD are designed in Corel Panel wise and the electronics in Driptrace, so I just need to CNC everything soon. I am doing more work for other people than I am for myself at the moment.

Which parts are you on about ?

So in other words, there is no rush at all. I just want all the dual encoder knobs, and if you have the time, the autopilot knobs of the mustang too. It will save me time drawing them up in CAD and then vectric to Mach3 etc etc, you know the way it goes.

VMD

Thanks D'

Where have you been? Thought you got deployed to Afghanistan or something =)

The bezels are available I just haven't had the time to post them up, just email me when you're ready. The MIP I'll have it available in MDF, PVC or sheet metal, great for all budgets. You can also download the cut-out in my website if you want to make your own panel.

-------
    @hexpope

So far I have modeled the knobs for the fuel selector, O2 valve, air source select, TEST(upper right panel) and the Cabin Dump switch guard.

I'm going to redo the pinstripe on this from 0.063 to .030 inch.

O2 Select Knob

The real deal.

25+ Posting Member

Nice knobs and really well done, I also agree about the pin strip too, but ****, if I had them made for a one off job and they turned out like that, then I would be happy enough. Did you CNC those knobs ? Although I am not so new with CNC, I got a 4 axis rotary that I need to learn how to use with Mach3. Drawing up the knobs shouldn't be so hard IMO.

Thanks for the dimensions too ! I will take those into account.

Did you purchase the Mindstar GNS4350 530 yet ?