Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi all I am a noob from Hong Kong

Hello guys,

I fly with the fsx for several years, but I cannot really build my own home pit cause of space issue in Hong Kong. By now, I have moved to a new apartment and have more money and most important more space to try building my home cockpit. I start from buying some saitek panels and ch yoke by now I have myself a rather beginner class home pit now. But I really wish to get serious and build a more realistic cockpit in the near future, so here I am, and hello to everyone.

Re: Hi all I am a noob from Hong Kong

Hi! Glad to see another pit builder. Do you have a particular aircraft or class of aircraft in mind for your pit build? Some of us here are building General Aviation pits others like the big Airliners, others war birds. And some shoot for a generic sim to model a range of aircraft.

Welcome!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Thx Tom, actually by now I just bought some saitek panels, and really don't know where to start, cause I kinda like both GA and airliner, I have bought whole set of carenado and also pmdg 737,747 and lvd 767, I love them all!!! But I really notice that I need a better throttle to fly the jets, any good suggestions? I did a search and can only find goflight and throttletek, is there any other better but not as expensive as the motor powered throttle? Appreciate it

25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar

Hi Pencilman.

Step back and take a breath.

If you want to build a realistic cockpit, then I assume you want a realistic cockpit. By realistic cockpit, I assume you are wanting to build a replica of an aircraft as opposed to just a yoke and rudder pedals with a few generic panels.
    I say this as constructing even a basic replica will cost you a lot of money, time and space.
    Do not get me wrong, I and many others here would have started their simming experience with the humble joystick and then progressed to a few digital panels.
    This is where you need to take that step back and decide what you really want. There are many companies that will be able to supply you with all you require to get you cockpit going but you must decide what cockpit you wish to replicate. From your second post, I see you have a few airliners in your software list. If this is what you want then with all due respect, you have much reseach to do. It really depends on how real you want to make your flight sim experience.

By building a cockpit, you can immerse youself into the whole flying experience and rather than pressing a key on the key board or clicking a mouse button, you can flick a switch where the original would be to get the same result. It all depends on just how far you wish to go.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum that could and will help you on your way but in order to help you more, we must have a bit more of an insight into which direction you wish to travel.

I hope I do not appear too negative but we really do need a bit more information about which way you would like to progress.

I do hope that some of my reply may have been constructive to you and assist you to decide where and how far you would wish to travel on this quite absorbing hobby.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilman View Post
    Thx Tom, actually by now I just bought some saitek panels, and really don't know where to start, cause I kinda like both GA and airliner, I have bought whole set of carenado and also pmdg 737,747 and lvd 767, I love them all!!! But I really notice that I need a better throttle to fly the jets, any good suggestions? I did a search and can only find goflight and throttletek, is there any other better but not as expensive as the motor powered throttle? Appreciate it
    That's one you may have to wait for the other builders to chime in on.

The first phase of my GA pit is single engine and I converted the actual vernier controls out of a 182. It was fairly simple because of course there was no need for servos, just position sensors. Even in phase two the most I'll have is a dual engine turbine quadrant and for the aircraft I've looked at so far none is as elaborate as to have motorized throttles.

Feel free to take a look at my website and blog to get a better sense of what I'm up to on my GA build, the link is below in my signature line. And hopefully the the guys who like to fly the big aluminium tubes in the clouds will reply with some info about the more complex jet throttles.

Not knowing what your fabrication skills are it's hard to recommend trying to build a complex throttle, but I will say some of the builders here have shown off some really impressive scratch built motorized throttle quadrants. Building any component of your sim from scratch has the cost of time that you must consider, but it can be very satisfying. But, it doesn't always save you money, though sometimes it can. The big question to ask yourself is, do you have the design, electronic, metal/plastic/wood working, and finishing tools and skills needed to produce a piece that you will be happy with?

Looking forward to seeing what you decide and how you progress.
    Tom G.

GA Rules, Airliners Drool! Woops, did I type that out loud Just Kidding
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Hi Tom and Gary

thank you so much for your advice, I know it would be costing me lots of money and space if I wish to start building my own home pit, that's why I would like to do it step by step. And actually I found that i really fall in love with the pmdg 737, so I think I would start building around it. (Tom, I know GA rocks! I really do!) . My goal is to build a cockpit which may not look exactly the same like the real one, but at least I can have those important panels with the glass display, I know I can always add a new monitor for the pfd and others. But I would really love to have a working CDU, a throttle, and Mcp at the beginning, later may add other stuff such as the radio panels, the Efis and even the overhead!
    P
    thanks a lot guys

Hello and welcome