Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Leo Bodnar BBI 32

Qas,
    the BBI rotary would give you 4 positions if you set it to that. The question is whether your sim software is compatible with a single pulse for each position. There is also no useable way of getting an Increase and Decrease function from it.

If the rotary switch is set to give an Increase or Decrease command at any of it's positions, it will always give that same command whenever you pass that position, regardless of the direction of rotation, which we don't usually want.

Think of it as having 4 momentary push switches numbered 1 to 4, one for each position of the switch. When you go from position 1 to position 2 on the rotary, the action would be the same as pressing button 2 momentarily.

Going from position 2 on the rotary, through position 3, to position 4, would have the same effect as pressing button 3 momentarily, then pressing button 4 momentarily. If you rotate the switch in reverse, say from 4 to 1, it will pulse each switch position 3-2-1 as it passes.
    Once it has created a switch pulse at any position there is no further circuit connection until the rotary is moved to the next position.

For my new sim I'm using normal rotaries for the overhead and the BBI 32 cards. For the Autobrake I already use Leo's other 3 wire rotary as an axis pot, connected to the 3086X. (thanks to Ian Sissons for his superb instructions on how to do it).

John

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi John
    Thank you for the clarification.
    I will do the same, use normal rotary with the BB1 32.
    Its main attraction for me is the price. With BX0836X the joy stick side is wasted.
    For my sim I use LINDA for assignments.It's a very simple project.
    I am trying to use LED's with the toggles and the BX0836X.
    I have searched google but it's not very clear at the moment.

Qas

Information Deleted by user
    Last edited by stryker7; 05-15-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Deleting

25+ Posting Member

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm new here and in-process of purchasing a BBI-32 for an autopilot panel I'm making, as soon as Mr. Bodnar gets his latest shipment in from manufacture. The BBI-32 looks very much like the ticket for what I seek: something small to handle 5 rotary encoders and approximately 14 buttons. Also, I have the purchased version of FSUIPC (configurable), so I should have no problems, hopefully. Your forum thread here seems to be rather comprehensive about the experiences you all have had with the BBI-32, as well as the cans and can'ts of the gizmo, so I'm eager to get it and learn more from here.

EDIT: One question...I have several rotary encoders I purchased from eBay, the 20-position type with 3 terminals for the rotary feature and two more terminals for the pushbutton feature (pushing in on the shaft makes a momentary ON connection). Can these encoders be used with the BBI-32 that you know of, or are Mr. Bodnar's encoders proprietary to it (meaning I can't use any encoder except his)? Thanks for any input, I greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by Hoorf; 02-06-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sudden question popped up

25+ Posting Member

I use several BBI-32 cards, all currently connected to buttons and switches allocated through FSUIPC.
    Regarding encoders, this card is not limited to only the ones sold by Leo Bodnar, but his site gives the specs required.
    He also provides some configuration software.

I suspect your encoders will work just fine. The 3 encoder wires will use 2 sets of slots, (common ground) and the push button a separate button position.

I can confirm that Leo's cards are virtually bombproof and you will be able to experiment without any great risk of damaging the card.

John.

6. Thanks Hoorf thanked for this post
    Likes Hoorf liked this post
    25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles2010 View Post
    Regarding encoders, this card is not limited to only the ones sold by Leo Bodnar, but his site gives the specs required...

I suspect your encoders will work just fine. The 3 encoder wires will use 2 sets of slots, (common ground) and the push button a separate button position.

I can confirm that Leo's cards are virtually bombproof and you will be able to experiment without any great risk of damaging the card.
    Thank you! It answers everything, but sadly, I have to wait awhile before I can get one, even though he just got a whole new shipment in. I saw that the UPS from his place in the UK to my place near Seattle is $32 for one card! OW! I know it's not his fault, but man, that hurts. I just have to save a little more is all, but my understanding is that these boards are the best and are worth every penny. Thanks again, John!

25+ Posting Member

Well, Leo didn't reply to my e-mail, but he must've read it because he just added Royal Mail AirMail to the available shipping options to the US...at a very affordable rate! Very excited, now I can afford one. If you're reading this, thanks, Leo!

25+ Posting Member

The BBI-32 and rotary switch PCBs arrived, what an excellent set of products! It was worth the wait and all the mac-n-cheese & ramen noodles I ate to make room for it. Looking forward to setting it all up!

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoorf View Post
    The BBI-32 and rotary switch PCBs arrived, what an excellent set of products! It was worth the wait and all the mac-n-cheese & ramen noodles I ate to make room for it. Looking forward to setting it all up!
    Could some be so kind as to post a graphic of how to wire a 45deg rotary switch to the BBI-32? I know its a matrix but it gets confusing quickly. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234