Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Leo Bodnar BBI 32

John, Thanks for looking into that. It's too bad, since the statement on Leo's site really had my attention. Oh well...

Regarding the rotary switch use, I can see a handful of applications but only a very limited benefit, that of saving a few wire runs.

I have two rotaries wired up for my King Air C90 on my desktop pit: one for the wipers, and the other for bus select on the voltmeter. It would have been nice to have saved several feet of wire for that, but again, that's a small benefit and not one that would make me replace my existing Bodanar cards. If, however, I need any additional cards, the BBI might find its way into my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

25+ Posting Member

Hi there,I'm having trouble understanding how exactly the BBI 32 card is used.I'm already using 2 BUO836X cards
    on the simpit I'm building.I now would tike to start on the overhead panel.I have no need to connect potentiometers
    so I gather the BBI 32 is what I need.Like the BUO836X ,I understand one can connect rotary encoders,rotary switches,push buttons
    and toggles to the BBI 32.Now this is where it get's a bit confusing for me.It's possible to connect 11(12 position) rotary
    switches to the card using the pcb attachment,why 11?.I've read in the avsim forum that one can connect , say ,12 push button
    switches to the pcb and then connect the pcb to on button input on tha card, the card has 32 button inputs so why only 11 rotary
    /pcb's?.Also windows only reads 32 inputs from any one controller card ,so how is it possible to connect so many seperate
    switches to one card and have windows read them all.I shall be assigning switch functions for the overhead using fsuipc mouse
    trapping technique like I did with the mcp,efis etc.Would that be possible to do with all the switches connected through the pcb's
    that would be attached to the BBI 32,I don't understand how ,considering, when I assign a function to let's say button #1 on the
    BUO836X in fsuipc ,when i press that button it shows me which button i'v pressed ,so how can one button have 12 buttons,
    how would fsuipc know which of the 12 buttons i'v pressed, or if I was using a rotary switch, which contact I was on while turning
    the switch.do you see where I'm comming from and why Im so confused.hope all that makes sence,
    anyone out there?, john.

25+ Posting Member

As I indicated in my previous post, the main use I see for the BBI 32 card is to provide 32 button or switch inputs, at a reasonable cost. I also pointed out that if you use the BBI rotary switches with this card, each switch will take up as many button positions on the card as you designate for that particular switch. That could be only 2 positions , or it may be up to 12.

For those who have not seen them, the BBI rotary switch is a standard rotary switch with 30 degree indexing, and adjustable with the usual tagged washer. This gives between 2 and 12 positions. The special feature is the small pcb on the base, soldered to all the contacts on the rotary. This pcb has 2 solder pads for the 2 output wires.

If you use 1 BBI rotary switch, set to use 12 positions, you will have 20 free button positions available for other switches. The BBI rotary is connected to the card with only 2 wires, plugged into 1 button position, but it still takes up as many of the 32 buttons as you choose to allocate to that switch.

If you add another BBi rotary switch, set to use 5 positions, you will have 15 free button positions left. And so on.

I should make clear these are my conclusions from my own testing. There may be some magic feature that I have not yet found, but Leo has not responded to my email about this product.

John

300+ Forum Addict

It works with 45 degree indexing switches as well.

25+ Posting Member

THANKS GUYS, SO THERE IS NO MAGIC,IT'S JUST A buo836x WITHOUT THE AXIS CONNECTIONS AND THE POSSIBILITY TO SAVE ON SOME WIRE IF YOUR USING ROTARY SWITCHES, AM i CORRECT?jOHN c.

300+ Forum Addict

There's a key on your keyboard that turns Caps Lock off.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi All,
    I was planning on buying few of these.
    Can you please clarify something.
    If I connect the special BB1-12 position rotary switch to the BB1 32,
    Are you saying that although you have 2 wires going into the BB1 32,the computer will show 4 postions being used on the BB1 32.
    So what happens to the unused BB1 32 sockets-have you coonected anything to these to find if it's possible.
    If this is the case than whats the point of buying this ?

Qas

300+ Forum Addict

Less wires from the rotary, Bodnar product so reliable, dirt cheap.

25+ Posting Member

Qas,
    I agree with tiburon's comments, and I think your query has already been largely covered in previous posts from myself and Ian Sissons.

If you use the BBI 12 position rotary switch from Leo Bodnar, in conjunction with the BBI 32 card, the switch will use up as many of the 32 available buttons as you allocate to that particular switch.

I'm confused by your reference to 4 positions being used, but I assume you mean that you might want to use one or more BBI rotary switches, set to operate 4 buttons each. If so, you could have 8 such rotaries maximum since 8 x 4 = 32.

If you try to connect another button or switch to one of the positions allocated to a BBI rotary, even if there are no wires in that position, you will find that the new button will operate the function allocated to that button position for the rotary. If you then allocate a new function to the new button, this will also be applied to that position on the rotary, replacing it's previous function.

A further point is that the BBI rotary works by providing a single pulse at each switch position. Unlike a normal rotary it does not remain On when each position is selected. So if you use FSUIPC, as most of us do, you cannot allocate seperate On and Off functions to the switch positions. I think this is a limiting factor for using the BBI rotary in a sim.

Having said that, the BBI rotary certainly worked reliably during my experiments, but I cannot at present find a use for it.
    The BBI 32 card however, is exactly what I have been waiting for. It has been faultless in testing, and a number of them are going into the new sim.

John

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi John
    Thank for the time to reply.I am sorry if I am asking same questions all over again.
    I am still confused.
    The 4 positions I mentioned refers to the engine starter selector on the 737 ,ground,off,constant and flight.
    If I buy the BB1 rotary,will the BB1 32 card show position 1,2,3,4 being used -even though I will have 2 wires going into say position 1 ground and position 1 +ve.
    If this is the case than there is no point in buying the rotatry switch at £5.
    I thought you only used the 1 position on the BB1 32,and it allowed you to connect more to it.

Many thanks for the review-it has saved me the cost of buying 6 of the BB1 rotary switches.
    I already have 4 of the BU0836X .
    I think I will just buy the BB1 32 and stick with using more wires-cost of few wires is pennies compared to the rotatry price.
    Thank you again.

Qas

ps.I have made a 737 OVH using plywood ,normal toggle switches and 4 BU0836X.Works a treat and all under £350

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast