Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Can Link2FS & Arduino do this . . . ????

10+ Posting Member

Re: Can Link2FS & Arduino do this . . . ????

Well I dug out my copy of VB6 today and used Jim's program (not the source of course) as inspiration and was amazed how easy it was to get it working. I'm not using SimConnect though... just plain old FSUIPC because although Jim's program is awesome I think it has to be on the same PC as FSX and I want to distribute the load somewhat.

I am also planning on making my ATR 72 modular like a real plane is (ie I can unscrew the stuff and remove it all from the cabin without having to dig in the back) and using Arduino's as driver boards is really simple. I was going to use PIC's up to now and even bought a load of them. Now though... one Ardy UNO per module and maybe a mega for more complicated stuff.

Oh yeah and why go back to VB6... because I hate VB.NET with a vengeance! For me it became WAYYYYY too complicated for what I wanted to do. VB6 is the essence of simplicity with the complicated there in the back waiting.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Yes ,, I took it up wrong ,,, well there's good news ,,, once I get the "Multi" settled the next step is to bring in Simconnect inputs, so that means you will be able to "inject" a complete radio frequency.

With the chit chat about this ,,, it wouldn't be too big a mission to add a page with "user fills them in" sort of thing and the Arduino sends a set code that would send "user filled in" (say) "*A" to FSX ,, hard to explain whats in my head but it would save having to re-code the Arduino everytime you wanted to alter it. It's all held in the "multi" for you.

Let me reword that ,,
    There's a page in the multi with a whole lot of drop-down boxs and textboxs in it you can fill in.
    In the one maked (say) "*A" ,,
    In the dropdown you sellect Com1
    Then in the textbox beside it you fill in 123.450
    Soooo ,, when your arduino sends "*A" then my "Multi" will send the 123.450 to Com1 in FSX.
    There ,, even I can understand that
    The data entered would be saved along with your profile so it's never lost.
    But I need to get the present core of "multi" stable and finished ,, then bring in all the simconnect inputs stuff that's of use to us.

Neomorph ,, yea I know what you mean and it's a real pain the newer programing tools ,, VB6 is great but M$ seem **** bent on getting it out of the system ,, so sharing programs using VB6 now is a nightmare with all the operating systems out there now.
    Anyway ,, good luck with your mission.

Cheers guys ,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Jim,

It sounds like with Multi I could enter some freq values into a user defined table and then call them up as needed, yes, no??? Does that mean I would need to interact with Link2FS manually to do this or could I accomplish this with interaction via the arduino?

What I am hoping to do is code the arduino to capture the currently extracted freq and save it as a variable that I later recall and send to FSX to change radio freq's. Very much like you set the radio presents on a car radio. The code on the arduino to do this is fairly easy to write it's just a matter of whether Link2FS present or multi could then send that stored info back to FSX to change the radio freq.

Example:

I'm on the ramp at KBOS with Flight plan in hand headed to KJFK so I know I'll need to make no less than 9 freq changes throughout my flight. With my two radios I can set the first four freq in advance but for the rest I would normally need to dial them in on the fly so to speak.

What I want to do is sit on the ramp and load freq's 5 thru 9 into present buttons by dialing up the freqs on the radio one at a time and then pressing and holding the present buttons (maybe six user present buttons) one at a time. The code on the arduino would see the long button press and would read the last extracted freq and store it in that preset buttons defined variable.

Later in the flight when I need the freq I click of the button and that action is read by the arduino as a short button press and triggers the recall freq code which reads the variable previously set and sends that freq back to FSX to tune the radio.

I could then at KJFK look at my next flight leg and repeat the action to load up the next set of needed freq's and so on.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

No, I was looking at what you Guys were talking about and came up with an idea that may have been useful but with what you've just said ,, no it wont work so I've canned the idea.

I'm close to releasing this rebuild and once that is settled I'll start adding the other stuff.
    The thing needs to be stable and trouble free (proven) before I add anything to it.
    Once it's proven ,, the first thing to be added will be the "simconnect input" which will enable you to inject a complete radio frequency into FSX plus a whole heap of other things you can "inject".

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345