Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Link2FS & Arduino do this . . . ????

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Can Link2FS & Arduino do this . . . ????

Tom ,, Zulucat has covered most of your queries but I thought I'd dive in about that stall thing.

The stall warning that shows is either On or Off.

I'm at the moment I'm doing a wee mod to the program to suit the non-english copies of FSX and FS9 and I'll have a look at including the outside air temperature and also the stall variable ,, "stall alpha" ,, I don't know what it does but I suppose I'm about to find out. It may or may-no be of any use to you.

I done a quick wee "hack" yesterday and it's actually quite interesting watching the temperature change with different weather and altitude etc. ,, nice ,, so get that servo and gauge all sorted out Tom.

Cheers ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

500+ This must be a daytime job

Jim,

Any chance you could get at some engine info out if you are "hacking"?

It would be very helpful to have the EGT, Fuel Flow, oil temp, oil pressure, and suction It looks like the simconnect names are:

GENERAL ENG OIL PRESSURE:index
    GENERAL ENG EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE:index
    GENERAL ENG OIL TEMPERATURE:index
    ENG FUEL FLOW GPH:index
    SUCTION PRESSURE

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Jim,

Thanks much!!! I am stumbling through learning the code and some of it is clicking right away other things not.

I already have some 180 servos that I'm using for things like the flap gauge, but no 360s. So I am going to be ordering a couple 360 servos. One to drive the thermometer needle since it needs about 300 degrees of rotation and I won't have any space inside the airvent for gears, the other to drive the Whiskey compass which of course needs 360 continuous rotation.

I got the piezo stall horn to mimic the build up and drop off of a stall horn with a for loop that ramps up or down the pwm value, but if you're able to expose that stall alpha and it works like I hope it does that will be even more realistic.

My next stumbling block came last night when I attempted to read a variable that had two characters. Reading the "M" or "L" values for flap position and stall works great, when I try to read a two character value like ">x" I get nothing. More reading and head scratching tonight... Hoping to find another code sample floating out on the forum.

I hadn't thought about the variables that Reid mentioned above. I have had the debate about mechanical gauges or LCD gauges so many times my head hurts. At the moment I'm leaning towards LCD, but that may change after my next nightmare about the issue... So the more variables exposed in Link2FS the better.

Again, Thanks for Link2FS and all your help on this!!! I know it's a lot of work for nothing more than the gratitude of a bunch of crazy sim pit builders, but you have that from many of us in abundance!
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Tom,

Where are you finding 360 servos, and are you sure that is what you want?

Most 360 servos remove the positional sensor, and in effect makes them bi-directional motors without position feedback. This forum:http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/cock...r-sim-use.html has some options for using a dc motor and a multi-turn pot with servo guts. It may be worth a look. If you have found something else, I would love to hear about it. For the Whiskey compass, a stepper may be a better option, unless you have a plan to track the continuous servo's position.

Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    Jim,

Again, Thanks for Link2FS and all your help on this!!! I know it's a lot of work for nothing more than the gratitude of a bunch of crazy sim pit builders, but you have that from many of us in abundance!
    I could not agree more, Jim.

Reid

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mongo View Post
    Tom,

Where are you finding 360 servos, and are you sure that is what you want?

Most 360 servos remove the positional sensor, and in effect makes them bi-directional motors without position feedback. This forum:http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/cock...r-sim-use.html has some options for using a dc motor and a multi-turn pot with servo guts. It may be worth a look. If you have found something else, I would love to hear about it. For the Whiskey compass, a stepper may be a better option, unless you have a plan to track the continuous servo's position.

Reid
    Reid, you are spot on. There are several 360 or continuous rotation servos but none that I have looked at in detail since that last post have position sensors. So I have started looking at stepper motors as well. My challenge there is still the same though, detecting position. At start up of the sim the plane could be pointed in any direction so there needs to be a way to sync up the Whiskey Compass. After it is in sync the rest seems straight forward from a known starting point.

I would think there are some commercially made position sensors that could be added to them, but I haven't gone that far in my reading yet. More to look at tomorrow...
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

I want to say that I have seen steppers that used an optical device to calibrate. There is an led that shines through a hole in a rotating plate that is only aligned at a known position and this sets the start point for the counter. Upon initializing the instrument it rotates to that known position and then moves to the correct heading using the voodoo that runs a stepper. Is it called an Optical Interrupter? maybe? I think it is in Mike Powell's Instrument book. I have tomorrow off, so I will try and look it up for you.

Reid

Thanks for the comments Guys ,,,
    Just a quick wee update (it's getting late here) to prove things are actually happening here.

I've finished the "non-english" stuff.
    Added more extractions (all gauge related) to both the FSX side and also the FS9 side.

It goes well and I have just got to get some bugs fixed it and fully test it on both sims.
    Probably about 3 days if all goes well.

Cheers ,,, Jim

Yesterday I uploaded the updated program for testing. It is just the exe file and needs to be put into the same folder that Link2fs_inout_v2 is in.
    It will use you present ini file so there is no need to "re-program" all the settings.

Unfortunately I never had time to really thrash the testing stage so we will see how she goes.
    I already see a change I need to do ,,, The fuel pressure reading has allowed for 4 digits !!!!

Fixed the "non English" thing.
    Added 17 more extractions that are mainly only suitable for gauge builders.

See how it goes and if any fiddles are needed I'll do them quickly and get this out of the way.

It's at the bottom of this page ,,,,,
    Your looking for version 3
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/link2fs_inout.htm
    (You may have to hit refresh to see the new entry.)

It's great to see lots of activity in GA pit building again ,,, very refreshing.

Happy testing Guys ,,, Jim

Jim, THANKS! Your work on this is greatly appreciated!

Or should I say:

/*
    THANKS!
    Your work on this is greatly appreciated!
    */

I know, bad but I couldn't help myself...

I saw the Outside Temperature C and Stall Alpha I'll be messing with them this weekend for sure.
    If anything quirky pops up with the Beta I'll let you know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast