Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Help regarding LED's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flEyedot View Post
    I may be wrong here, but we are planning to use some software called Panel Builder:

Panel Builder

I'm not 100% on how this software works but i was under the impression that it takes information from FSX (or xplane) and displays it in its own right and therefore does not require 2D panels from the aircraft. I saw it being used at RC Simulation in the UK: Shop Foyer - RC Simulations and the guys who showed it to me said there would be no problem getting this to run on a 727 sim - it just needs a custom design for each instrument.

We aren't ready to get our panels set up but it won't be too far away so I'll let you know if this does the trick, or you can always drop an e-mail to RC Simulation, Bob is a nice guy and really knows his stuff so I'm sure he will be able to help.

If that isn't the right solution, is it not possible to use the 2D panel from FS9 in FSX?

Hope that helps!

It may be possible to use Panel builder, but you will need to find suitable guages. Yes you can use some 2D panels and guages from fs9 in FSX. The DF 727 is only for fs9 however.

On a side note regarding your switches. A lot of the switches in my hardware has two or more poles. In that case you can use on pole to connect to the bodnar card, and the other pole wired directly to the lamp you want to light.

Regards
    Tor

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Geremy - We are based in Wiltshire, around 20 minutes away from Swindon.

I certainly hope we can use panel builder! We'll probably get the gauges built or do it ourselves if we can in that case. The next step for us is stripping the entire CPT down and giving it a good clean - the sim is filthy after we gave it to someone to build for us and he left it outside on a farm and did a runner with our money! - after which we'll make a start on the MIP and will investigate panel builder. I'm really keen to use FSX (in fact it will probably be Prepar3d if possible) although to be honest FS9 looks fantastic with REX etc. so it's not a huge issue.

Thanks for the tip about the lamps, I'd focused on wiring up the actual switch and haven't even looked behind the panel since - I'll check it out!

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AVIATor-Olav View Post
    On a side note regarding your switches. A lot of the switches in my hardware has two or more poles. In that case you can use on pole to connect to the bodnar card, and the other pole wired directly to the lamp you want to light.
    Be careful with that, because in most cases that is wrong. A led often indicates whether the function controlled by the Switch is actually working. So you need info from your simulator panel to drive the led, and not the position of the switch... In a Cold and Dark cockpit for instance you do not want the led to lit if you put the Switch in the ON position.

regards,
    Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 10-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Be careful with that, because in most cases that is wrong. A led often indicates whether the function controlled by the Switch is actually working. So you need info from your simulator panel to drive the led, and not the position of the switch... In a Cold and Dark cockpit for instance you do not want the led to lit if you put the Switch in the ON position.

regards,
    Nico
    True. It all depends on how nuts you want to with regards to realism, but you're right. I have several lights come on at a flick of a switch on the overhead panel, regardless of the master switch being on or not. It doesn't bother me, but each to his own off course.

Any progress with this project?

Tor

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Apologies for the delay in responding - sadly we've not been able to make too much progress recently. We have a major office refurbishment going on and we've never been so busy so the more profitable projects have to come first!

I'm currently working away which doesn't help so I've not actually set eyes on the sim since about 2 weeks after I last posted here. Before I had to stop working on it I got the sim to a 'flyable' state so all the pots are hooked up and a few switches. Once the office refurb is finished we'll look seriously at getting the thing stripped down and onto a trailer/rebuilt somewhere more permanent. The main hurdle will be doing the simulator justice with a great visual system yet keeping it as small as possible. We've got a few ideas to play with so we'll hopefully be able to make a start on that in the coming months.

It seems like whenever we're ready to make progress, something else gets in the way - I'll keep you guys updated as and when we can make any progress!

Cheers,

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12