Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Best Video Card for FSX Gold

Hi all. Just starting up a flight sim and I am wondering what is the best video card for FSX Gold with PMDG 737 NG add ons?
    Cheers

75+ Posting Member

Re: Best Video Card for FSX Gold

Hi and welkom, id say go for a nvidia 680 , preferably with 4gb of memory . I tried a lot of different cards and always used to have ATI cards . My last one was the 7970 with 3 gb overclocked edition . It was a big letdown with 3 screens . The card is great but not with fsx and certainly not with 3 screens in fsx . A lot of stutter problems because of vertical sync issues . All driver related . Nvidia has far superior drivers for fsx with adaptive vertical sync . Together with nv inspector and all my stutter days are over !

best regards Remco

25+ Posting Member

I've been watching this as I am beginning to build out the main sim computer. I've ordered all the parts already with the exception of the video cards because I just am not sure which way to go.

The current frontrunner for this is 2 NVidia 670 card's SLI'd together - each with 4gb of memory each. Part of me wonders if this is "overkill" - another part says one can never have enough processing power with it comes to video!

I have heard for years now that NVidia cards just work better with FS for some reason. I have tried both ATI and NVidia cards and it does "feel" like the NVidia is smoother - but just cannot put my finger on what/why.

Note: These cards would be expected to drive only 3 front screens. 1 or 2 other computers will drive the monitors in the MIP (3) - which as I understand it, do not have heavy graphics requirements.

75+ Posting Member

With ONE !!!!! 680 you can drive 3+1 screen , take the 4gb version it works great ! No sli issues . ATI cards and one screen work fine the issue is with three screens and vertical sync it causes a lot of stutters . Run the 680 with 1/2 refresh rate (60hz) and lock fps at 30 in fsx together with nv inspector and it runs great !

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Thanks for the info Remco. Could you be more specific to what model card you got, perhaps a link. Seems quite a few variations of the 680 are available.

Matt Olieman

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by remcosol View Post
    With ONE !!!!! 680 you can drive 3+1 screen , take the 4gb version it works great ! No sli issues . ATI cards and one screen work fine the issue is with three screens and vertical sync it causes a lot of stutters . Run the 680 with 1/2 refresh rate (60hz) and lock fps at 30 in fsx together with nv inspector and it runs great !
    Thanks Remco: This is exactly what I was wondering! Love the community and how we come together!

On Newegg.com, there seems to be 7 options (in stock) for GT680 NVidia cards with 4GB of memory. Prices range $490-$570 USD. Main difference I see (other than Brand) is the clock speed. The faster the clock speed, the better it should be (I think).

Some Links:

Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-3687-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - This one appears to be the fastest, but all are *very* close to each other.

Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-3685-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW Standard, w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-4GD GeForce GTX 680 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ GeForce GTX 680 GC 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - Zotac ZT-60103-10P Geforce gtx680 4gb gddr5

It seems that the eVGA brand is the most popular.

Just a note: These cards all use PCIE 3.0 x16 tech - so may not work for everyone depending on their motherboard's specifications.

Matt

7. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    Likes Matt Olieman liked this post
    75+ Posting Member

Hi !,

this is a link to the evga gtx 680 I have : EVGA | Products | EVGA GeForce GTX 680+ 4GB w/Backplate | 04G-P4-2686-KR

Its not cheap but you only need one so its cheaper then two cards . You can run 3 + 1 , I'm running just 3 but I'd like to run an instructor station on the other screen ( fourth) .

As said you need nv inspector to have the correct vertical sync usage . I'll make a picture of my settings soon and post it here .

For one screen you do need an active display port adapter to be able to use the 3 screen surround bit . Just like ati . Or 3 display port adapter screens if you have them .

The 4 gb's are nice when using the 3 or 4 screens . 1 gb per screen is a good thing.

The nvidia drivers are just so much better! I always used ati because you could run 3 screens with one card but the world has changed with the 680 ( fsx wise )

The other issue I always had was the crashing of the display port screen with ati . Tried new adapters screens cards etc . But it didn't work . The evga card has no issues with that !

hope this helps .

best regards Remco

9. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

These cards will also work on pcie 2.0 without any problems !

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Excellent info. Remco!!!

Matt Olieman

75+ Posting Member