Thread: FS9 or FSX?

150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FS9 or FSX?

Hi,

I'm building a new computer that will run either FS9 or FSX. It will run Win 7, 2 graphics cards with 4 displays. The outside view will be a 40" TV, 2 x 19" W/S monitors will be used for PFD/ND and EICAS using FSXpand and the last DVI out will be for the FDS CDU. I'm going to be running one of the versions of the Ifly 737, either the FS9 or FSX model or the Pro model (haven't made my decision yet). I will be adding on airports, AES, REX, GE Pro etc.

My question is which will be the best route to go - FS9, FSX, or the Pro? The computer will be high end enough to manage whatever I choose. Given that most of the time is spent in the air the scenery is not that big of a deal as the addons appear to make the FS9 look like FSX. What are the advantages of using FS9 over FSX and vice versa? I have only used FS9 so far.

Many Thanks

Rob

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: FS9 or FSX?

Hi,
    I think you will struggle to run all that on FSX using a single (even high end) computer. Granted, most of the time is spent in the air, but the fun comes on landing, and when that turns into a slide show after flying for a few hours it can ruin the experience.
    The advantages of fs9 are obviously the frame rates.
    I use a high end computer just to run FSX, a second computer runs the PFD/ND and a third runs the eicas and standby instruments. I then use a fourth to run radar contact and FSCommander.
    The key is to keep as much off the main "flying computer" as possible. This is doable even on a budget as second hand PC can be bought off Ebay for next to nothing to run the instruments.
    I moved from FS9 a while back and I have my pit running smoothly with FSX and all the add ons.
    Here is a link to youtube of me "attempting" to fly into Kai Tak.

Hong Kong Kai Tak approach to Runway 13 in a Boeing 737 Home Cockpit - YouTube

Allan.

3. Likes JoHubb liked this post