Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Driving a Thermometer Dial with a Servo?

I managed to pick up a pair of after market Cessna wing root air vents and the Cessna outside air temp thermometer that mounts in the pilots side vent.

thermometer.jpg

I want to get the thermometer to show the outside air temp as indicated by FSX. Haven't checked for an FSUIPC offset, but I'm sure it exists. I hope

The bigger question is how best to hack the back off the thermometer to retrofit a servo. It has a temp probe that's a bit less than 1/8" in diameter and about 6" long. Has anyone ever cut into one like this before? Wondering (before I cut up the one I have) if anyone knows the basic mechanism. It would be great if I could connect a servo with the least amount of hacking up the back of it. Wondering if the mechanism is some sort of by metal that twists or tensions and how it's motion converts to the rotational motion of the thermometer.

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Driving a Thermometer Dial with a Servo?

After several months away from the pit build I'm starting back up again. Bumping this post since it's one of the pieces sitting on my bench waiting for attention.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback