Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Rotary Encoder Double 'clicking'

Quote Originally Posted by nolatron View Post
    I'm hooking up the Rotary Encoders on my ProSimParts comm panels and finding they are 'double clicking' when I turn them. In other words, when I turn the dial one click, the radio digit jumps two, instead of one.

I have them connected directly to a master card. Is there anything SIOC that can slow it down? I'm thinking maybe I need one of opencockpits encoder cards so it reads the turns correctly?
    Always look carefully at the specs for the encoders that work directly with a Master Card; if you do that, you will have no problems at all....
    Here is more info about the Encoder and here more about how to program an encoder in SIOC.

nico
    Last edited by kiek; 09-07-2012 at 03:06 AM.

75+ Posting Member

Well tonight has been a whirlwind of trial and error.

First I received my encoder card from opencockpits. I couldn't really get the card to work properly though. I don't know what I could be doing wrong as I followed the guide on the product page.

I have the card ground connected to a ground on the input card, then pins 1 and 2 connected to consecutive inputs in the same ground group. What I noticed though was as soon as I connect ground, the inputs light up as if being active. I connected one encoder output to the encoder 1 pins as shown but I got no response from it. The inputs just always show as active.

Next I thought maybe I needed 5v. So I tapped into the wire running to the MasterCard, but when I would connect the wires to the encoder card, all kinds of inputs lit up.

So while getting frustrated with this I smacked myself in the head when I realized I could probably use my pokeys cards for the encoders. I hooked up one up, set the sampling rate to 2x in the pokeys config, set the actions in fsuipc and bam, they worked. You can't spin them too fast as they won't change the value (I bumped pollinterval down to 10 for a decent speed).

Id still like to try to get the encoder cards working if possible, so any ideas what could be going onwith them?

Otherwise if anybody needs some brand new encoder cards drop me a line

Quote Originally Posted by n19htmare View Post

Var 1010 name ROT_C1_LHS Link IOCARD_ENCODER Device 1 Input 5 Aceleration 0 Type 2{L0 = &ROT_C1_LHS&C1_LHS_ROT_VAL = ROTATE 18 36 L0 CALL &C1_UPDATE_LHS CALL &SET_FS_C1_SB CALL &OutCom1_SB } Var 1011 name ROT_C1_RHS Link IOCARD_ENCODER Device 1 Input 7 Aceleration 0 Type 2 { L0 = &ROT_C1_RHS&C1_RHS_ROT_VAL = ROTATE 0 39 L0 CALL &C1_UPDATE_RHS CALL &SET_FS_C1_SB CALL &OutCom1_SB
    Can anyone explain me please, how all these values working ? : &C1_RHS_ROT_VAL = ROTATE 0 39 L0 or ROTATE 18 36 L0

Can i program an OpenCockpit's gray type rotary encoder (Gray type encoder. Connects directly to Master card. CTS ref: 288VCC0F161B2) for sending numbers from -1000 to 42000 or from -1000 to 14000 in 500 feet increments ?

regards

Eddie
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

150+ Forum Groupie

Hello nolatron (strange name BTW)

Never used this version of EncoderII myself, but to get the OC EncoderII board to work
    you’ll have to apply +5V (+5V and GND) at the marked pins – GND which should be
    the same as the general Ground signal through out your setup.
    Don’t mix up with Input Group Ground.

Connecting the encoder device should be straight forward as in the OC supplied "manual".
    For connections to Mastercard pick one Input group. Wire pin 9 on EncoderII to
    common Gnd for this group and encoders (EC1-4) as you have done already.
    Regards,
    Per-Erik
    www.hoddo.net

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Perik View Post
    Hello nolatron (strange name BTW)

Never used this version of EncoderII myself, but to get the OC EncoderII board to work
    you’ll have to apply +5V (+5V and GND) at the marked pins – GND which should be
    the same as the general Ground signal through out your setup.
    Don’t mix up with Input Group Ground.
    So what I tried was using this morning was 5v and GRD terminals on the output card. I connected these to the 5v pin on the encoder card (with 5v being on pin 2)

I then connect on the 9row pin: Pin 1 to input terminal 7 and pin 2 to input terminal 8. When I connect Pin 9 to the ground input terminal, SIOC Monitor shows both inputs lit up as active.

If I disconnect Pin 2, input 8 goes inactive but input 7 starts flashing as if an encoder is rotating, but this whole time no encoder is connected.

When I connect an encoder as needed, there's no input read from it all. hmm

As for the name, it's s combination of where I live (New Orleans, LA = NOLA) and favorite movie of mine, Tron.

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by oal331 View Post
    Can anyone explain me please, how all these values working ? : &C1_RHS_ROT_VAL = ROTATE 0 39 L0 or ROTATE 18 36 L0

Can i program an OpenCockpit's gray type rotary encoder (Gray type encoder. Connects directly to Master card. CTS ref: 288VCC0F161B2) for sending numbers from -1000 to 42000 or from -1000 to 14000 in 500 feet increments ?

regards

Eddie
    You need to add some info to the L0 var I think to get your increments set. See here for an example:

How to program in SIOC, many basic examples

75+ Posting Member

This looks to be the encoder used by ProSimParts from what I can tell. The only marking on the encoder is Alps and this is the only Dual encoder they make:

EC11 Series - Basic information

Quote Originally Posted by nolatron View Post
    You need to add some info to the L0 var I think to get your increments set. See here for an example:

How to program in SIOC, many basic examples
    Of course i have done it
    I was asking only for the structure of ROTATE command but i got a reply at another thread asking about a sioc problem i have.

Deleted as issued solved already :
    If you can help aslo, please check here latest post : http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/i-o-interfacing-hardware/25160-need-help-sioc.html#post134345

Regards

Eddie
    Last edited by oal331; 09-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

10+ Posting Member

The dual ALPS encoder is gray code but detents at each 1/2 cycle. Meaning, if you are waiting for four state changes for a "tick" you will get double the "ticks".

150+ Forum Groupie

Nolatron,

If you have a PIC programmer you could try to replace the firmware
    on OC Encoder board with the one from Terry : Rotary Encoders

I know it works quite well for 1/2 cycle encoders - I'm using it
    Regards,
    Per-Erik