Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Saitek yoke mod idea

I took my saitek yoke apart because one of the buttons isnt working, and noticed quite a bit of empty space inside.

So, I got to thinking.

I can pick up a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick for dirt cheap. Would it be possible to merge the two to give me a force feedback yoke for dirt cheap?? I am not talking about something that would throw me out of the chair if a wing dropped all of a sudden. But just something with subtle feedback and control loading.

Concepts so far. The Saitek parts are not that heavy so it shouldn't require motor upgrades or anything complex like that. Using the stock gears from the joystick should be sufficient ratios to give enough movement (if not plastic RC gears are cheap). Big question is, does the force feedback need the pot inputs from the yoke, or can they be two isolated circuits? It would just take a little engineering and imagination to physically bring the two together.

Just an idea i'm pondering. Thoughts??
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Saitek yoke mod idea

Hi,

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback2 hardware can be hacked, it requires some component changes and additions to increase motor current. For description, see MS Sidewinder FF2 hacking

For the mechanical part with your Saitek yoke, I don't know, as I don't have this yoke.

I build my own yoke mechanics from scratch and added the force feedback with the hacked hardware from MS SW FF2.
    The results are quite OK, especially in combination with FSforce addon.

Note that choice of motors and coupling to the yoke has big influence on the force quality. For details see ForceFeedback Yoke II

Good luck!
    RR