Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GA Nav / Radio Panel build...help needed

Hi all,

I'd like to build my own nav / comm panel similar to what Saitek offer. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced / simple to build kit?

Thanks
    Daz.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: GA Nav / Radio Panel build...help needed

Not sure that reasonably priced(although that is very subjective) and simple to build (also subjective now that I think about it) are possible to have together.

For what they do, some of the commercial options (saitek, goflight) are pretty cost effective. Neither are very realistic looking, but both are plug and play and wont break the bank (especially if you don't mind used from Ebay). Opencockpits sells a kit for a multiradio http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...ml?cPath=22_64
    But the kit is 93 Eur. Looks like a bit of soldering too. It might be a false economy to think you are saving much unless the building is the fun part for you.

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

VMD

Quote Originally Posted by DazKay View Post
    Hi all,

I'd like to build my own nav / comm panel similar to what Saitek offer. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced / simple to build kit?

Thanks
    Daz.
    I have a kit available I don't have all of the components yet but so far this is what I have. KX-155 dual rotary knobs, faceplate, lens, active/sby button, test and ident knobs.

Attached Images Attached Images

VMD

Almost there.

VMD

Just an update

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Mendez View Post
    Just an update
    Louie, any further progress? Similar to DazKay I am looking at various options for my avionics stack and my MIP.

I have not decided on the make up of my avionics stack yet with regard to conventional radio vs. GPS options but either way need some fabrication optons.

I also notices a pic of a traditional Cessna MIP on your site with analog gauges. I was wondering if those where mechanical gauges or is that a set of monitors with an overlay. Reason for asking is that I've been trying to solve for the fit of monitors behind an actual C172 panel and haven't found the right set of monitor sizes yet.

Thanks in advance for any updates and info.
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

VMD

Hey Tom, I have all of the parts for these radios. Soon as I'm done with a couple of custom projects, I'll jump back and finish off the KX155.

When you decide what you want just let me know. I have more than enough tools to make an aircraft carrier.

The traditional MIP on my site are analog gauges, but I have been messing around with my son's project using monitors and came up with this.

orange= monitor
    blue=panel overlay
    green=yoke

The hole for the yoke support will be dropped about 3/4 of an inch. It will still give you the illusion that the yoke shaft is stabbing thru the monitor.

8. Thanks Mavni thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Hello Louie,

I am keeping an eye on your products as I will need some items shortly for my GA build. Especially interested in your radio kits.

The gauges shown on the monitors fsx or an aftermarket set?

Jake

VMD

Hey Jake,

The gauges are FSX but I'm planning to use RXP's GA set in the future.

Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Mendez View Post
    Hey Tom, I have all of the parts for these radios. Soon as I'm done with a couple of custom projects, I'll jump back and finish off the KX155.

When you decide what you want just let me know. I have more than enough tools to make an aircraft carrier.

The traditional MIP on my site are analog gauges, but I have been messing around with my son's project using monitors and came up with this.

orange= monitor
    blue=panel overlay
    green=yoke

The hole for the yoke support will be dropped about 3/4 of an inch. It will still give you the illusion that the yoke shaft is stabbing thru the monitor.
    Louie,

Thanks I'll be in touch soon for a couple small parts and maybe after that for face plates for the avionics stack. My biggest challenge is that I am building my sim in an actual 172 fuselage so I have the yoke shaft sticking up into the area I need to place monitors. As such I need two or three small monitors that will form either an L or a U over the yoke shaft. Finding small monitors is not so much the challenge as is finding the specific sizes I need to line up with the actual instrument locations and still clear the yoke shaft and the curve of the upper portion of the MIP.

After I get past that design issue I will also be looking to build out the avionics stack. For this I am looking at mounting a small wide screen monitor sideways in the avionics bay and placing a face plate mask over it that looks like a Garmin 530 bezel on top with a few conventional pieces(2nd radio,maybe DME, ADF, Auto Pilot) below that. And, of course all the needed buttons and rotaries ...

I'm good to go on making circuit cards and doing most of the fab, but machining faceplates is beyond my skill set. Have you done any Garmin faceplates before? Can you post some more detailed pics of the avionics faceplate you have done?

Thanks!
    Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast