Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing Yoke placement question:

Hello! I am new to the world of simpit building, and Im planning out my cockpit now. I recently ordered an amazing new FSX machine, and am now soon to purchase a new yoke. I currently have the CH Yoke, but mine is very old and is not working properly. Now, I will be purchasing the Precision Flight Controls Saab Desktop yoke. It's pretty expensive ($720) but from reviews, it sounds as if it is worth the money for the quality of the product. My simpit is not going to be based on a specific aircraft (somewhat a 737NG, but not completely). I am worried that because it is not a pedestal yoke, I will be too close to my glareshield or instruments. Do you think that it'll be a problem or will I be okay? Thanks!

Best regards,

-Sam Cordell

Re: Yoke placement question:

Hi,
    Why not just spend a little bit more and get the column yoke?
    I am using a Saitek yoke as my FO and it does get in the way of the instruments, but my build is slightly lower as I had to squeeze a 737 instrument panel into a business jet nose.
    I do have an ACE yoke for the captains side but I cannot (will not) recommend them because although they are great when they work, the customer service is absolutely appalling and if anything goes wrong you are on your own.
    Allan.

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll save the $200 because the yoke itself is already a bit above what I would usually be willing to spend. Also, I've heard problem about their column yoke. Possibly, I can mount my yoke slightly out from the rest of the panel, giving a bit of space between the panel and me. Thanks for your comment and I will most definitely take your opinion into consideration.

Hi,
    If you look at my pit you will see what I mean with the Saitek yoke getting in the way of the instruments. No big deal for me but the co-pilot will have a hard time
    As I said, my instrument panel is not to scale and is slightly lower than a normal 737, but you can see what I mean.
    Allan.
    IMG_9431 (1024x683).jpg

150+ Forum Groupie

PFC is hard to beat......if you are patient, you might be able to scrounge up a used one for much cheaper. I got a PFC (sold for Jeppesen, but still PFC) yoke and the old Jeppesen avionics panel on ebay for around $90 shipped because it was being sold by a pawn shop in slightly rough condition with unknown functionality, plus they didn't really know what it was. I hacked the yoke handle itself to use with my own yoke (amazingly, the yoke I had was better than the one on the PFC unit) and shaft extension, now I have a totally custom yoke with the smoothness and control of PFC. The avionics panel was taken apart for its electronics (there is some good stuff in there).

Anyways, the high-end yokes come up on ebay from time to time. I am really cutting costs where I can, so I choose to wait around for that "great deal". Don't rule out buying a real pedestal yoke and wiring your own electronics to it, the Bodnar boards are great for this.

Matt