Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Newby and Arduino (Uno) and (Mega 2560)

Hi

I have what along time to make something differents for fsx and the fly realism. Now nearly 3 months of thinking I have bought:

Flight illusion 737 FFB Yoke, not arrived yet

I have decided to make a FSX panel with pot, switches and Rotary Encorders for the commonly use function in the cockpit. The panelīs heart is to be the Arduino cards (Uno and Mega)

I have ordered: Getting Started with Arduino but I need to sort out:

Can I connect all the switches, pot ... to the card directly?

Best Fredrik

25+ Posting Member

Re: Newby and Arduino (Uno) and (Mega 2560)

Certainly, the Arduino website has some great tutorials and examples of connecting switches and Potentiometers as well as much much more. The tutorials typically have some nice wiring diagrams too.

Check out http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage

Hi

Great, it was what I thought

Some question:
    I have already the Brawa cable 0,14 mm^2 but is that enough?

See: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogReadSerial read down for "Circuit". The example req... a board and a pot for 10kohm but the one I have is just 1kohm

Too check I am thinking correct I need a resistor at 9kohm to get it correct or simply change the pot!

Best Fredrik

25+ Posting Member

Up Front Disclaimer... I'm no expert when it comes to potentiometers as I haven't really ventured into that area yet. Anyone with experience, please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Sorry, I'm not sure what that cable is, but if it's standard wire you should be good to go.

2) I think you might be OK without the additional resistor... Check out this link which talks about this topic.

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12696

Hi

Ok, I have seen in the tutorials that them are useing breadboad, but this is for show us how to connect things. If you want to connect more than one switch and if you are needing resistors, is not that much easier to connect it through a breadboard?

Best Fredrik

Your simply creating routes for electrons to flow. Don't need special cables or breadboards, etc. These things exist for convenience, the electrons don't care as long as they go where they need to go at the rate they should go. Breadboards have their place, special cables have their place, everything has their place. Start playing around with things and you will quickly learn why such things exist. Your not going to bury a breadboard in the insides of your home cockpit.
    The most important tool you need is a high quality temperature controlled soldering station. I've owned Weller WTCPT's in the past and now own a Hakko FX888 and absolutely love it.

Hi

First see: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12696

I can read thise:
    "for a voltage divider, it doesnt matter. if you're using it as an adjustable resistor, of course it does matter"

My goal is too use my potts for a fsx panel. The potts is meant too work dim a light in the cockpit so the question is am I need more than 1kohm for the potts?

I have read that if I am useing more than 12V the unit can be damage. It seams that I need a Hakko FX888 if I use more than 12V, need not I?

One thing I have thought about is that a switch need to be connected too 5V pin. If I use more than one switch thenv the 5V pins dos not enough? I have only one 5V pin!?

I have read these:
    "Each pin can provide or receive a maximum of 40 mA and has an internal pull-up resistor (disconnected by default) of 20-50 kOhms."

It must mean that each pin has limit in 40mA of power and a intern resistor of 25-50kohms. With the intern resistor I do not need any exernal resistorn for my switches pot and Encorders m.m.?

Can I damage the switches and the potts if I do not use any resistors?

I know the led need is needing resistors//
    Best Fredrik

If you have some basic background knowledge with electronics, you would understand things much better. Are you using a translator service? Hakko FX888 is a soldering iron. LEDS need resistors to limit the amount of current they see, you want to keep them around 20 ma more or less.
    A pot is simply a variable resistor. For a voltage divider you connect + and - to the outside terminals, the output to the center terminal. For just a variable resistor, you only use two of the 3 pins. They work much better as a voltage divider.
    The arduino, avr, pic, msp430, etc... uses built in analog to digital converters to convert the voltage into a digital value, with that said, you should expect your 1kohm pot to work just fine. I would not see a need for an additional resistor on the pot?
    For a typical green led, I use 270 ohm resistors at 5v. Look up Ohms Law.

Hi

I have done a calculation about my pots and its spec are: 0,25W and 1Kohm. From that I have get the value 16 as the potīs Volt. The pot can handle a ampere value as 0,016!

The card is working as 5V and can put 0,04A through the pin at maximum but here comes the hard thinking about pots

The pot i has not a stady value without a changing value al the time, (when in turning )

When in turning the value is changing, corret my if I had wrong

Best Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by freddehboy View Post
    Hi

I have done a calculation about my pots and its spec are: 0,25W and 1Kohm. From that I have get the value 16 as the potīs Volt. The pot can handle a ampere value as 0,016!

The card is working as 5V and can put 0,04A through the pin at maximum but here comes the hard thinking about pots

The pot i has not a stady value without a changing value al the time, (when in turning )

When in turning the value is changing, corret my if I had wrong

Best Fredrik
    Yes, sounds about right without myself doing the calculations to say for sure.
    However in this application with the arduino, you never will need to use the pot to handle any significant amount of current. The pot is read by an analog in pin that is connected to the ADC, the pot changes voltage as you turn it, the ADC converts the voltage it reads into a value that is used inside of your program. The pot is simply being used as a sensor. Now if you wanted to dim the lights of your cockpit, you would use a Mosfet connected to a PWM output that could change the brightness of the entire cockpit with just turning the pot, and even add in software control that could over ride the pots position. Limitless possibilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast