150+ Forum Groupie

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Generic shell build, take 2

Hi all.

As some of you will know, my project has been going slower than a creeping glacier for about two years now, and I was in the middle of building a very rough and ready shell which I was kind of making up as I went along. Well, long story short I abandoned that shell a few months back and have been building a new one in the hopes of restarting my project - which is a fairly generic, fairly simple but fully enclosed pit.

For my first build I wanted to do something simple, and I have no particular attachment to a particular aircraft to want to build an exact replica, and I also wanted to fabricate as much as possible myself without buying off the shelf. I decided early on to go for a heavily glass cockpit and to do a lot of the heavy lifting in software, where I'm comfortable. Touch screens dominate the design. When pushed I say it's modelled after a vaguely futuristic business jet.

All well and good, but I never got beyond the fiddling-with-the-shell-and-not-knowing-what-to-do-next stage, and hence my project reset (actually my second - I started out building just a free-standing console + pedestal arrangement). I got much inspiration structurally from the FDS shell range, particularly the 737 shell, although with a smaller space I couldn't replicate it exactly. But it definitely has informed my design.

Compromise is the order of the day here. I'm not building a complete interior + exterior shell like many here - the exterior will be plain wood and unfinished, it's the inside that counts. Right now it's just plain wood too, but there's a lot of trim to make and fit - lots of foam and leather and acrylic! I've gone for straight and plain rather than curved and detailed - so straight side walls, simple window frames, etc. It has to be within my relatively limited DIY prowess to construct.

Without further ado, a few pics. More can be found on my blog (http://milehighgeek.wordpress.com) should you be so inclined.

I'll post some more updates as I go... hopefully this time I can actually get the shell built and get closer to a first flight

WP_000081.jpg WP_000082.jpg WP_000094.jpg WP_000095.jpg WP_000113.jpg

2. Thanks 50fighterfan, Geremy Britton thanked for this post
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Generic shell build, take 2

I look forward to version 3.....
    I totally agree about the outside, you see people here who spend years getting the outside looking perfect - who cares? The only time I see the outside of my pit is when I switch the plugs on.
    Even professional multi-million pound sims are basically a box on the outside.
    Saying that I just spent a few hours putting decals on the outside of my sim to make it look more realistic, so ignore evrything I just said.
    Allan.