Thread: Budget?

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Budget?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what i could build on a budget of maybe £500. me and my brother tend to build it, and we would like it to have 2 seats for an airliner, with hopefully a working overhead panel with yokes and screens. Is it possible?

Thanks

Re: Budget?

With that, you may be able to get a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, and Pedals or you can spend all that on MDF and make a MIP, Pedestal, CDU bay, shell, and overhead without any sort of electronics whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by jawskk View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what i could build on a budget of maybe £500. me and my brother tend to build it, and we would like it to have 2 seats for an airliner, with hopefully a working overhead panel with yokes and screens. Is it possible?

Thanks
    Hi,
    £500 seems very low, what do you have already?
    You can build a overhead using a Bodnar card (£50) and some switches (£30) , then I would buy a Saitek Yoke and throttle (£120) and a set of rudder pedals (£100). Monitors for the instruments are cheap, I got mine off ebay for about £30 each. You will then need to build a frame to house it all, which will easily push you over the budget. Not forgetting software to run the instruments. I use Prosim which is not cheap (but excellent) at £300.
    £500 is just the beginning.......
    Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    Hi,
    £500 seems very low, what do you have already?
    You can build a overhead using a Bodnar card (£50) and some switches (£30) , then I would buy a Saitek Yoke and throttle (£120) and a set of rudder pedals (£100). Monitors for the instruments are cheap, I got mine off ebay for about £30 each. You will then need to build a frame to house it all, which will easily push you over the budget. Not forgetting software to run the instruments. I use Prosim which is not cheap (but excellent) at £300.
    £500 is just the beginning.......
    Allan.

I have a thrustmaster warthog and mfg screens, which im looking to sell or swap for a yoke and pedals and quadrant, as the i got the thrustmaster 3 months ago, and used it 5 times, but dont like it :P worth £340 new aha

Ive got plenty of wood and ply in the shed to build a whole plane, so thats not a problem,
    I was thinking of just buying loads and loads of screens of ebay, maybe these...

2 x 32" screens for front view ( not sure or exact size of screens)
    2 x 20" screens for side windows
    3 x 16" for instruments and fuel etc.
    then i was going to buy the radio panel of saitek, with maybe some switches for near the yoke, then i just need to sort of an over head panel. I was also going to try and get a small 10" touch screen for other small things, but that can be added later. but id like it to be 2 seater preferably, so my brother and i can do flights ( both wanting to become pilots)

Im thinking the most money will be on the screens or the overhead, and software...??? but ive also got to sort out a very powerful computer, as i dont think my i3 will run it?

Thanks
    Mike

Hi,
    I would not use 2 screens for the forward views as the bezel is in line with the runway on landing and it ruins the effect. I would use 3 screens for the forward view using either eyefinity or a th2go and forget about side views for the moment as that is a whole load of seperate issues.
    You will struggle to run all this using one computer. I use 3 computers. The most powerful one running the main views, another running the instruments and a third for things such as FSCommander.
    There is a lot to think about. We all want wrap around visuals but have to prioritise what is important to you.
    Allan.

unless i use a projector could always project it onto the front screen?

The computers for the screen/projector, do they need to be i7 aswell? because surely 3 i7 computers would cost maybe £3000?

150+ Forum Groupie

Here's my take: get QUICKLY to a point where you actually are flying something! Forget overhead, projectors, motorized throttle and all that. Your initial post suggest that your budget is pretty low. Do not spend your money on something that does not have a chance of being completed!

It also depends on which plane you want to build. A very low budget, as you indicate, would point to a GA 'pit. A generic one with a monitor behind a MDF panel with cutouts for the instruments.

You could check out opencockpits.com. A multiradio and the GA panel plus some saitek flight gear could give you TONS of fun!

If you are thinking 737 or similar, you need to add two zero's to your budget for a complete simulator with wraparound visuals and all the thingamabobs, bells and whistles.

If you want an airliner, and can spend more money, check out www.jetmax.ca!