Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

ACE Yoke - How do I replace a pot?

Yesterday I got my sim to where I want it, everything was working great and it was time to enjoy flying after all the hard work.
    THEN....... The ACE yoke started playing up. It is fine in the forward/backwards axis, also the buttons work great BUT it will not turn right. It will turn to the left but not right. So I have a nice pit which is great for left hand circuits.
    I went through the obvious trouble shooting. Recalibrated, uninstalled, shouted a bit, turned it it off, waited 10 seconds then turned it back on..... but no joy.
    I decided to take the yoke apart (as you do) and noticed no obvious loose or broken wires.
    I have decided that the pot in the control column is deceased, no more, an Ex-pot. How easy is it to replace? From my limited poking around it looks to be a pain.
    What pot do I need as I have no idea?
    Have I missed any trouble shooting steps before the wire cutters and soldering iron make and appearance?
    I hate cockpit building, and would put the sim out on Thursday which is recycling day, but I cant get it out of my garage.
    A bag of Pickled Onion Monster Munch to whoever helps this damsell in distress.
    Allan.

75+ Posting Member

Re: ACE Yoke - How do I replace a pot?

Almost all pots have their resistance engraved on the body of the pot. It's pretty easy to replace if you can get to it. In the US I'd replace it with one from Radio Shack or now even Amazon has them.

It seems it is not a faulty pot.
    I had another poke around today and the sprockets attached to the pot does not seem to be catching the sprocket on the control column. It looks slighty too small and when I turn left it will catch it but when I turn right it slips and misses a few of the teeth.
    I am in a bad mood today and Mrs Notgotaclue has now decided to keep out of my way. She made a major error by coming down to the garage and saying those words you do not want to hear when things are not going well - "Is it working?".
    WHAT DO YOU THINK LADY!!!!!!! The yoke is in bits, I am covered in grease - tools are strewn all over the place and I have a slightly demented look about me - DO YOU THINK IT IS WORKING????????......
    She slammed the garage door, muttering things on her way out such as "You sad, lonely, nerdy tw@t"
    Allan

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    It seems it is not a faulty pot.
    I had another poke around today and the sprockets attached to the pot does not seem to be catching the sprocket on the control column. It looks slighty too small and when I turn left it will catch it but when I turn right it slips and misses a few of the teeth.
    I am in a bad mood today and Mrs Notgotaclue has now decided to keep out of my way. She made a major error by coming down to the garage and saying those words you do not want to hear when things are not going well - "Is it working?".
    WHAT DO YOU THINK LADY!!!!!!! The yoke is in bits, I am covered in grease - tools are strewn all over the place and I have a slightly demented look about me - DO YOU THINK IT IS WORKING????????......
    She slammed the garage door, muttering things on her way out such as "You sad, lonely, nerdy tw@t"
    Allan
    Hello Allan
    Sorry you brightened up my evening after reading your predicament ,i was in absolute stitches with laughter after reading your post ,you have a good sense of humour and thats what we need sometimes
    in our daily lives .i can understand exactly what you mean when some part of the sim build goes pear shaped but thats what its all about -it would be rather boring if everything worked first time and kept working ,its all a test of character and patience and sim building is all about that even working on real aircraft as i have done for the past 30 years can be frustrating -
    i am glad you have sorted it out with the gear on the pot and by the way pickled onion monster munch crisps are my favourite so any time youve got a wee snag give me a shout
    cheers
    dave