10+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GUID of multiple BU0836X

Hi everybody.

Hopefully there is someone who uses several of Leo Bodnars cards and has found the solution to my problem.

I use a total of 5 cards. 2 are used in a general aviation setup, and 3 are used for an MD-11 A/P + TQ project.

When plugging in the 3 "MD-11" cards, 2 of them get the same GUID (id number in windows and visible in FSUIPC.INI)as the 2 cards for the G/A setup.
    That causes all the assignments to get messed up.
    This makes it very difficult to use both sets of hardware separately.

Keeping all devices plugged in would solve the issue, but thats very impractical with regard to space at my desk.

Does anyone know how to get windows to assign a unique GUID to each card, or how to change the name of the card itsself???

Any help would be much appreciated.
    When the project is up and running, i will post some pics of my MD-11 GCP (Glareshiel control panel) and TQ/pedestal

Kind regards
    Ferry Herfst

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Re: GUID of multiple BU0836X

I would email Leo Bodnar and see what he suggests, I am sure there is a quick fix for this.
    GA or the Highway!

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    I would email Leo Bodnar and see what he suggests, I am sure there is a quick fix for this.
    Hi,

That was my first acion, but no reply so far.

Leo is a busy man, and from what i've understood it can be a bit of a problem getting answers to support questions. He does deliver his orders in time, so I don't want to complain

Ciao

75+ Posting Member AndreNordheim's Avatar

Understand that each USB port has a unique data reference so if you unplug the bu0836 card you would have to make sure it gets plugged back in to the same port that you programmed the keymapping with. Best advice is to mark each cord and corresponding USB port on the computer.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndreNordheim View Post
    Understand that each USB port has a unique data reference so if you unplug the bu0836 card you would have to make sure it gets plugged back in to the same port that you programmed the keymapping with. Best advice is to mark each cord and corresponding USB port on the computer.
    Hi Andre.

Thanks for the suggestion. Went to work with that this evening.

This evening I tried every combination of ports, but funny thing was, that GUID stayed with the card. So with 4 cards connected, regardless of the port they were connected to, nothing changed within FS/LINDA.

I connected the cards to my laptop, and there they almost got an identical order. The card that always wanted to be "no 1" on the pc was "no 1" on the laptop. Just one card preferred to be "no 2" in stead of "no3".
    The numbers are the order of the device in LINDA, that gets the order from FSUIPC.

When plugging in less cards, they tend to keep their order.
    If i disconnect the "no1" card, then "no 2" becomes "no 1" and so on.

Tonight i got a little wiser.
    Maybe if i carefully chose which card to use for each part, i could develop a system.
    But my guess is, if i reinstall windows, i have to "shuffle the cards" again, and that would be a hassle.

Changing the name in the card itself would be the best and most definitive solution.
    Or being able to edit something in window so that each device gets its own name or something.

Hopefully i can get some more suggestions

Cheers
    Ferry

150+ Forum Groupie

Every USB device that is even halfway compliant with the USB standard has, at the least, a manufacturer, device model name, and unique serial number. I don't know why Windows is too brain-dead to really properly utilize this (then again, this is the OS that thinks your generic run-of-the-mill mouse that you've been using for 3 years is a "NEW DEVICE" and has to "install driver software" just because you go to a different USB port).

*IF* FSUIPC or whatever other sim software you're using can gain direct access to the USB subsystem on your OS, you *should* be able to read the USB device's serial # directly (again, barring any Windows stupidity with regard to hiding the STANDARDIZED USB metadata). This would have to be done on a programming level of course.

If you happen to be running Linux, you can use udev to write rules that *always* assign a given card to a given device node/name, REGARDLESS of what order things are plugged in, which ports are being used, or what is plugged/unplugged at any given time. Even if you don't use udev, the order in which USB devices are plugged in will determine device name, regardless of which port is used.

I haven't done any simulator stuff in Windows, but I'm assuming you could use the latter solution of plugging your cards in a certain order and keeping the device assignments that way, without worrying about what port to plug into. I could be wrong, though.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Hi Matt,

Thanks.

Last night i was browsing through the windows registry. (i'm only using windows to run my FSX)
    There i could see some of the things you are talking about.
    Each card has the metadata you mention.
    I'm no expert at editing the registry, but maybe i can make a few changes, so that i can link a new device name to each card's serial number.

All the cards are in a "subfolder" of the main entry (VID_1DD&PID_1001) sometimes it includes the serial number.
    There's quite a lot of entries regarding all the "joysticks"

Are you by any chance more into the windows registry?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Ciao
    Ferry

150+ Forum Groupie

I'm only in the Windows registry when I absolutely have to be. (Mostly for stuff at work.)

I am familiar with the reg keys you're talking about. Unfortunately those seem to be set by the hardware abstraction layer itself, so that they are dynamic (except for those times when the reg info for a given device is corrupt, in which case Windows is amazingly adept at NOT changing/correcting the info, and you have to delete it manually so Windows will "reinstall" the device........)

It's certainly worth perusing.....one quick and easy thing you could try would be to get the devices connected the way you want them, then go into the reg keys for each device and change the access control list to "deny" write access to "everyone" (also remove any explicit permissions that allow write access to any particular user). But this might break other things. Other than that, I don't know of any way to hardcode the stuff in this part of the registry. But then there are things about the Windows registry that not even Microsoft knows about anymore.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by xplanematt View Post
    I'm only in the Windows registry when I absolutely have to be. (Mostly for stuff at work.)

I am familiar with the reg keys you're talking about. Unfortunately those seem to be set by the hardware abstraction layer itself, so that they are dynamic (except for those times when the reg info for a given device is corrupt, in which case Windows is amazingly adept at NOT changing/correcting the info, and you have to delete it manually so Windows will "reinstall" the device........)

It's certainly worth perusing.....one quick and easy thing you could try would be to get the devices connected the way you want them, then go into the reg keys for each device and change the access control list to "deny" write access to "everyone" (also remove any explicit permissions that allow write access to any particular user). But this might break other things. Other than that, I don't know of any way to hardcode the stuff in this part of the registry. But then there are things about the Windows registry that not even Microsoft knows about anymore.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

Well thanks for explaining and saving me a lot of wasted hours trying to fix something MS should have built in to Windows.

I'm probably convicted to using all devices at once. Swapping cards between part of the project will probably allow me to be able to use part of my devices, for a "light" setup.

Thanks again!
    All the best
    Ferry