10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Arduino and FreeTronics LCD Sheld

Hi, has anybody tried using the FreeTronics gear. http://www.freetronics.com/products/lcd-keypad-shield

I'm trying to make a Comm's only LCD's with the FreeTronics Eleven board and their LED Shield that plugs straight onto the board, it will also plug straight onto the Arduino Uno board. I have been trying to just get the Comm1 to display on the LDC line 1 and the comm1 standby to display on line 2. (I've also tried the LCD shield in the Uno board and get the same result)

I'm getting the info to the LCD but it will not stay in one place, the comm feq. move around the display each time it cycles a refresh until the whole LCD display is filled up with both active and stnby feq. and then just seems to freeze.

I'm using Jims link2fs and have just tried to shorten up the .pde that came with the download to build His LCD.

Could it be the FreeTronics LDC shield needing a more complex code as it is built up on more of its own base rather than like in Jim's diagram that just has an LCD on its own wired to the board?

Any Help would be awesome.
    Brandon

Re: Arduino and FreeTronics LCD Sheld

Hi Brandon,

If the info on the LCD won't stay in one place, it's probably something to do with using the lcd.setCursor( x, y ); command before lcd.print() is used to print to it.

Whenever stuff is sent to the lcd with lcd.print(), it is written at the last 'cursor' position, which is just to the right or after whatever was last sent to it, unless lcd.setCursor() is used before it.

If you want to rest or fix the location of something being printed to the lcd, put an lcd.setCursor( x, y ); command on the line before it, where x is 0 for the top line, 1 for the bottom line, and y is the character location from left to right as 0-15.

We have a guide here on some buttons, a demo program which you can load which prints and updates values to the same locations on the LCD
    http://www.freetronics.com/pages/16x...ickstart-guide

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by bj1140 View Post
    Hi, has anybody tried using the FreeTronics gear. http://www.freetronics.com/products/lcd-keypad-shield

I'm trying to make a Comm's only LCD's with the FreeTronics Eleven board and their LED Shield that plugs straight onto the board, it will also plug straight onto the Arduino Uno board. I have been trying to just get the Comm1 to display on the LDC line 1 and the comm1 standby to display on line 2. (I've also tried the LCD shield in the Uno board and get the same result)

I'm getting the info to the LCD but it will not stay in one place, the comm feq. move around the display each time it cycles a refresh until the whole LCD display is filled up with both active and stnby feq. and then just seems to freeze.

I'm using Jims link2fs and have just tried to shorten up the .pde that came with the download to build His LCD.

Could it be the FreeTronics LDC shield needing a more complex code as it is built up on more of its own base rather than like in Jim's diagram that just has an LCD on its own wired to the board?

Any Help would be awesome.
    Brandon

3. Thanks Steve5006 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Re: Arduino and FreeTronics LCD Sheld

Thanks Marc, had a play around with the info you provided and got it working great.

Will get some pics up once its all finished and the code for anyone to have a go at.

Thanks
    Brandon