25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

How to mount a monitor on wooden mip

If i want to mount a monitor on a wooden plate - any good ideas of how to do that?

It's a mip made of wood with holes for the displays. I want 3 19" to be behind. But i need some creative ideas of how to mount them?

25+ Posting Member

Re: How to mount a monitor on wooden mip

Hi
    I have a setup with a plywwod facia also. I have my 3 displays sat inside a wooden frame and the plywood MIP then screws onto the face of this assembly. The big advantage to this is that I actually have 2 plywood facias, one for GA instrumets and one for glass cockpit instruments, depending on what I want to fly. They are easily interchangeable by removing the thumbscrews holding them onto the subframe.

Den

150+ Forum Groupie

One of these should not be too hard to make:
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=518

I used two pieces of wood, and two pieces of a L-shaped aluminum profile. Rounded the end on the wood, drilled a hole through the profile and the wood and fastened with a screw and a nut. I used a piece of aluminum for the support. It is fastened to the aluminum profile with screw and nut, and a wooden screw to the piece of wood. Very easy to make.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by den19 View Post
    Hi
    I have a setup with a plywwod facia also. I have my 3 displays sat inside a wooden frame and the plywood MIP then screws onto the face of this assembly. The big advantage to this is that I actually have 2 plywood facias, one for GA instrumets and one for glass cockpit instruments, depending on what I want to fly. They are easily interchangeable by removing the thumbscrews holding them onto the subframe.

Den
    Could you supply with some pictures - i'm quite sure what you mean?

25+ Posting Member

Hi
    The first picture shows the view of the MIP in GA mode complete with the plywood facia in place anf the instruments showing through. All instruments are software based and run on a second, networked pc. For GA I use Peix GAPanel, a payware program found at http://www.peixsoft.com/index.php?page=ga-panel

IMGP0082 (1024x768).jpg

This one shows the plywood panel removed so you can see the 2 lcd screens in the wooden frame which holds them in place behind the MIP.

IMGP0083 (1024x768).jpg

The next one show part of the wooden frame from the front with one of the screens removed. The frame was built round the 2 screens to make them a tight fit inside it and there are rails on the inside to stop the screens from falling over backwards.

IMGP0084 (1024x768).jpg

The next one shows the simpit in "heavy" mode using a freeware program VASfmc, which unfortunately the web site no longer exists and I don't know if the files are hosted anywhere else.

IMGP0085 (1024x768).jpg

The final one shows the 2 identically-sized plywood facias that fit over the lcds and attach to the wooden fram to make the 2 different MIPS.

IMGP0087 (1024x768).jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas to create your own simpit.

Den

25+ Posting Member

thanks - it helps alot.

How do you prevent the monitors from "fallling" out. The front plates with holes - are they fixed somehow?

Do you have that setup on a table or a special base?

25+ Posting Member

The monitors are a tight fit in the frame(the frames were build round the monitors), plus they have rails behind them to stop them falling backwards(you can see these in picture 3), and the facias are held on with thumbscrews which hold them in from the front.
    The whole lot then sits on a base which was originally a standard computer desk- many simpit versions ago!

Den