Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing Building the 737 sidewalls

Hi folks!

I've uploaded a PDF with drawings and schematics for the 737 sidewalls in the download area:
    Downloads Cockpit Bitmaps and Drawings
    Misc. Flight Deck Drawings
    737 sidewalls

Could you guys check it and verify it for me as a quality control? I think it is going to be a great asset for future sim-nerds. Plus - by verifying it, I don't build the sidewalls to the wrong dimensions.

Appreciate your help!

Re: Building the 737 sidewalls

We're also starting here. Capt. Kinsky and I will have a look tomorrow.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Pretty much in accordance with the measurements I used. Looks ok.

Side note: Have you looked at this? http://737ng-info.blogspot.de/2011/03/sidewalls.html
    Unfortunately only in german. But pictures say everything...

Cheers
    Chris

150+ Forum Groupie

Yup, I've surfed that site a lot. And my design could easily be altered to look more like on that site. I don't know if all the extra stuff he does is really necessary. But to each his own, I guess...

150+ Forum Groupie

I've started the sidewall build:
    Click to visit my website.

Hi Vidarf,

I like your idea of stitch and glue! Our idea here is to roughly make the walls out of MDF or plywood, then cover it with foam which we sculpt in detail to make very realistic interior lining. It should be possible to make all the curvatures, little recessed rooms, grooves etcetera. Then we cover it with fiberglass. Advantage is that you don't have to make a complex saw plan and wood construction. It will just be plane faces; the foam will be the finish. Just foam sheets that are used as insulation in house building. It seems one type of foam solves in the fiberglass and another type will hold but my buddy Kinsky knows all about that so I rely on him. He may seem lazy if you see how little he posts here but without him, the sim wouldn't be as far as it was now

Cue in, Kinsky!
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

75+ Posting Member

Thanks for the detailed sidewall measurements. I don't think I've seen anything this detailed anywhere. And it's just in time for my starting the sidewalls.

Did you know there is a missing dimension?

It's in the pdf file on page 7 (the closeup of the table area). Just aft of the 0.174m horizontal dimension. Between that 0.174m dimension and the 45 degree, 0.075m bevel there is no dimension. And there is no way to "back-track" in the wider view on page 6 to get this dimension.

Any it's a minor point (I think it's about 200mm). Just thought you might want to add to the pdf file.

150+ Forum Groupie

The measurement for that part (the "table" top) is included in the PDF. Use the measurements on the plywood sheets. There are no missing measurements on those drawings - i just cut the first sheet using the document, and apart from a mishap with me not thinking straight, everything came out just right.

I will, however, upload an updated PDF. I forgot to include a drawing where all the parts are labeled on the sheets, so it is easier to identify each part.

Be aware that on several parts, the measurements are spread on the two identical parts. Some parts do not have any measurements at all; this means that they is an exact replica of the other part (remember - there's two of every part, one part per side).

The distance you refer to is 16.6 cm, but that measurement is not needed. The whole length from the front of the lighting panel back to the 45 degree part, is 34cm.

I will include a drawing of just the "table" top with measurements needed to easily cut the two pieces. I managed to cut the parts correctly, but that's just because I have the build process in my head.

Just ask if you encounter any more problems. That way, I can update the PDF so it is easier to follow.
    I intend to share similar drawings on all the other parts I'm going to build. Why not? I am going to spend the time to draw it in 3D anyway, and if others can benefit from it - be my guest!
    I got loads of help from the material Markuspilot.com and Ivar Hestnes has provided online, so this is me giving something back to the community.

If in your hobby you do care,
    knowledge is so good to share!

150+ Forum Groupie

Arjen, if you use Epoxy resin, the dense foam will work great. Usually pink or green in color here in Norway. Underground insulation.

You can actually "melt" the foam away from the fiber glass structure with Acetone. If you use 2 layers of woven glass fibre fabric, you should get a very sturdy construction. And you can easily epoxy "stringers" or stiffeners on the back side.

A new version of the document is uploaded (awaiting approval at the moment). Please download it and tell me what you think - is it useable or do I miss anything?

Vidarf,

Thanks for sharing your drawings. I've been looking around for information to make an EFB using a 10.4" TFT screen. I found different set ups, e.g. a screen placed vertical half way hanging down the side window. Another example is built in the sidewall. As far as I can tell, the 737 only has the "hang alone" version. Do you agree?

JWS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast