Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Building the 737 sidewalls

Thanks Vidar, good point on prioritisation. I do want side views though, but since the front of the pit is narrower than the back this should not be a problem right? The monitors will be sited I imagine just outside the windows, so within the overall rectangular footprint of the whole pit.

Certainly I need to get the mip dimensions before building the room to house it, I can see that now. So I need to get a handle on the space I need to site the monitors, outside the "windows", and what overall external dimensions this gives me

So my luxury of being able to build a room for this is actually a headache, as I need to set in stone my sizes before I have started construction...agh...

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Ned, I had seen that link but your sizes are really helpful. I need to think about monitor siting, access to upgrade in the future, and my aspiration to have an instructor station within that footprint will be hard to achieve...!

I must remember to buy no smoking signs.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

75+ Posting Member

The other thing to consider is why bother with an outside shell. You will only be able to see one side of it with such small space.

My room is only 12 feet long and 10 feet wide. I actually started out with an external shell for my sim but ended up scrapping it because it would never be seen. I'm more interested in flying than looking at the outside. Besides having an outside shell makes it really difficult to do any work around and behind the MIP. I'm now completing a mini shell that's only as large as the inside of the cockpit and open at each end.

Still, the inner size between the aft windows is about 230 cm. Taking into account the inner shell gets wider below the window, the space is limited anyhow. Even if you only build the inside. And you do want to be able to work on the rear of the MIP, indeed. But also, if you want to service the inside of the glare wing, you'll need to be able to lift the top of it. That's something to consider as well. Haven't sorted that out yet but I think we'll make wheels under the platform so we can roll it from underneath the shell, maybe only 30-50cm would be enough.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123