Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: CRJ progress

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: CRJ progress

Lots of trimming of bolts. Switches to fit. Nylon washers in a few places and nylocs. This is a dry assembly.

Traffic Grey

Traffic Grey coats using ral paint. Polymorph panel looks better than I had hoped.

Fixing the undercarriage knob to the 10mm stainless steel extrusion

Step by step:

1. File down the four faces of a 3/4" length at the end of an 1/4" square mild steel bar, to approx 8mm square so that it is a snug fit to the inside profile of the 10mm square tube.

2. Cut off the 3/4" length piece. Mark the diagonals at one end to obtain the centre, and centre punch.

3. Hold the bar vertically in a drill vice and progressively drill a hole through the centre up to 3.3mm. (The tapping size for M4 x 0.7 thread.)

4. The cap screw used was part straight shank and part threaded, therefore it was necessary to drill a 4mm clearance hole for the portion of straight shank and the remainder threaded with M4 tap.

5. A shakeproof washer was placed on the bolt and the bolt pushed through the clearance hole; pushed/ screwed in to the full extent so that approx 10mm of thread protruded and the bolt was now locked in the square section.

6. The end of the cast resin knob was squared up and chamfered and the centre determined and punched. The knob was protected with card and held in the drill vice facing upwards. A 3.3mm hole was drilled to a depth of 20mm

7. The hole was tapped out to M4.

8. Small fibre washer was placed over the thread and the knob tightened up until it was inline with the sides of the square.

The whole assembly can be now epoxied into the operating tube, and for future dismantling, the knob can be first unscrewed. The knob as supplied from GLB is in clear finish and can now be removed and sprayed before fixing finally in position. This is just one of several possible ways of fixing the knob, however it was chosen to extremely robust and easy to remove the knob and replace should respraying, or maintainance be needed.

150+ Forum Groupie

NICE! Are that design stable enough? Do you get any "play" in the panel when you're pulling the lever?
    I have that problem on my MIP, but mainly because the gear lever isn't secured to the vertical supports at the back (on the to-do-soon -list though).

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    NICE! Are that design stable enough? Do you get any "play" in the panel when you're pulling the lever?
    I have that problem on my MIP, but mainly because the gear lever isn't secured to the vertical supports at the back (on the to-do-soon -list though).
    Hi.

No play at all. The whole thing is rock solid. The gear panel fixes to a very rigid mdf angular structure. There is no flex whatsoever; all supports are reinforced, and it is as solid as can be. The gear lever uses springs which allow a smooth but firm pull, but without excessive force. I think the system is efficient and fit for purpose, as much as I can make it. Of course I have no idea what force is required to actuate the lever in the real CRJ though I would love to know so I can recreate it by adjusting spring tension. Thanks for the positive comment. I really appreciate it. Good luck with yours. It looks magnificent. I am but a humble student. I've learned a lot during this recent phase.

Regards Andy

150+ Forum Groupie

Andy, your CRJ is looking great. What are you using to make your brackets, panels, and other flat pieces? Or are you designing/ordering all of them with that FrontPanel app you linked a while back?

I wouldn't bother much with any sort of "dataref editor" or other user-written tools intended to "supplement" the SDK. It stands quite well on its own, and is not difficult to learn, just a little different from more conventional coding projects. The Python interface to the SDK is even simpler (and more fun to program, IMO): http://www.xpluginsdk.org/python_interface.htm

Edit: I should clarify that the Python interface is nearly an identical "copy" of the SDK in Python, with functions and data types represented in the closest Python equivalents, to the point that you can almost exclusively use the original SDK docs once you get the hang of the Python SDK's idiosyncrasies. The relative ease and simplicity of Python is what makes it simpler and so much fun. And the fact that Sandy did such an amazing job with it.

Matt

150+ Forum Groupie

Dude, PLEASE do not "find out" what the exact pull force needs to be by visiting a CRJ cockpit and then flip the lever!

"Hi'ya guys, I'll just check how hard this is to use! -WHAT THE... *click*-*THUMMMMPPPPFFFF*"

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    Dude, PLEASE do not "find out" what the exact pull force needs to be by visiting a CRJ cockpit and then flip the lever!

"Hi'ya guys, I'll just check how hard this is to use! -WHAT THE... *click*-*THUMMMMPPPPFFFF*"
    Ha ha. Nice one.

All you will do is make a lot of noise (both screaming crew and alarms), but the gear SHOULDN'T raise.
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast