Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A first time cockpit builder from Ohio, USA!

Hello everyone!

First off, let me start by introducing myself. My name is Brandon Johnston. I am 28 years old and am from a little small (blink and you miss it) town in Ohio, USA. I have been an aviation enthusiast ever since I can remember and had always toyed around with the Microsoft FS versions growing up as it became a more serious hobby into my adulthood. I just recently got married, this past October actually. We have been married a little over 6 months now and it's going great. We were together for 4 years though before we finally tied the knot, so at least she knew the FS geek she was committing herself to! haha I am currently working endlessly, working overtime as much as I can to save up for my Private Pilot's License. Although, probably still another year away, I now have the desire to construct a halfway precise replica cockpit of the Cessna 172, and in the future, possibly even more.

The idea of a cockpit inside our house did all but impress my wife. With a few rolls of her eyes and shakes of her head I knew I had once again made her briefly contemplate, "what the world did I get myself into!" LOL but she's a wonderful woman and knows how much all this means to me and is a part of me, so even though a bulky cockpit doesn't go with the flow of her decorating, she's willing to make the sacrifice!

My current setup includes the following:

I-Core 7 processor
    GTX 480 Video Card
    14 GB DDR3 RAM
    2 - 1.5TB HDD's
    2 - 640GB HDD's
    2 - 500GB External HDD's
    Primary Monitor - 46" 1080P RCA LCD
    Secondary Monitor - 23" 1080P Acer Monitor

Simulator Hardware:

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System (with throttle quadrant)
    Saitek Throttle Quadrant (A second quadrant setup so i can run 4 engines)
    Saitek Rudder Pedals
    Saitek Multi Panel
    Saitek Swith Panel
    Saitek Radio Panel

I feel all of this is a pretty decent start into building my cockpit. I by no means have the money to purchase actual gauges, which is why I am looking into running them off of other monitors placed behind my main cockpit panel. I've been doing some research and haven't found a whole lot. I did discover through watching a video on youtube of someone's home cockpit a little program called Jayco Gauges which i'm sure most of you already know about. While this is GREAT and will definitely be implemented into my flightsim. It is not a fully complete set of gauges that you would find in the C172.

So, what I'm wanting to know as an individual getting started in this field. What is there software wise out there for a beginner with not a whole lot of money to spend that wants to make a decent 172 cockpit, or any cockpit for that matter. Are there other freeware gauges out there that can be used.

I know i've talked and rambled on a lot at some points, but I could definitely use some professional help in getting me started. Some help from someone who might've been where i'm at just not so long ago. I hope I can get some assistance from some individuals and maybe make some friendships along the way as I have in my FlightSim journey thus far!

Thank you all for your time and patience, it does not go unnoticed or unrecognized!

Thanks!

- Brandon

25+ Posting Member

Re: A first time cockpit builder from Ohio, USA!

Check out http://www.thegaugesfactory.org/ you didn't mention if you had an MS or XP sim in mind. For XP, I like Simavio gauges. For FSX I like Project Magenta's GAIFR.

Thanks a lot...I really appreciate it!! By the way...it is an FSX Build. Is there a direct link for those project magenta gauges? Thanks again for that first link...I already see many things I will be downloading!

Welcome Brandon, I look forward to see your project growing. Post some pics when you have them!
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)