150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Potentiometers for Throttle Quadrant and Yoke

I built a Throttle Quadrant and Linked Flight Yokes for my B747-400 cockpit and I was using Open Cockpits axis card and pots but I keep having a lot of problems with them, some of the inputs have just stopped working. I finally decided to use the circuit boards from my CH Flight Sim Yoke and CH Throttle Quadrant but I don't want to use those pots because they are soldered and I don't want to risk damaging them in case I want to use those devices in the future. I was unable to cross reference the pots CH uses and they no longer offer replacements on their Web site. I checked Digi-Key and Allied Electronics but there are so many different types I'm not sure what to choose. The Flight Yoke uses 10K and I believe the Throttle Quadrant uses 100K but I want to make sure that I get high quality pots so I'm looking for some recommendations as to what would work best.

Jerry

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Potentiometers for Throttle Quadrant and Yoke

Jerry
    the choice of 10k vs 100K is down to you either will give comparable service on OC cards since fsuipc will be used to calibrate the pots
    the quality / method of connection will determine the accuracy
    generally (that includes me) we tend to use 10k linear track pots inside the TQ cause its simple to hook up using radio control linkages with ball joints to join pot to throttle arm. - but the resolution is only as good as the price you pay for the pot
    another alternative is to use a multi turn circular pot with a closed loop tensioned line. these pots tend to cost a bit more and you have to do more work supporting the pots/ connecting ssame, but give a really good smooth action & good resolution from end to end. You have to work out the relative sizes of the wheels (shafts) of the pot and the throttle movement to ensure you use the full length of the pot (all 10 turns for instance) when moving the TQ