Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thread tapping

150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: thread tapping

Place the screw in the grooves on the tap bit. They should be exactly the same width. Hold the threads against each other. Should be a perfect fit.
    If not, you have the wrong bit. When tapping resin, I've found that if you use a small battery powered screwdriver, it's easier to start. If you use the tapping wrench, you might damage the start of the hole. And as always: one turn, a half turn back when you're making threads! For long holes, remove the tapping bit once or twice to remove debris.

PS: before you start using new and unfamiliar equipment, try it out on scrap material first! That lesson is self-taught. The very expensive way...

300+ Forum Addict

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I'm waiting for the high quality bit I ordered to replace the toy bits I borrowed from a friend. How can you time one turn with an electrical screwdriver ? Doesn't that turn way too fast ?

150+ Forum Groupie

It does not matter for the first 5mm - no need to go in reverse before the bit has gone in a couple of mm. Just take it slow. Use the lowest gear if applicable. As soon as the tapping bit has "gotten hold", i.e. started to screw itself into the material, switch to the tapping wrench.

Since a tapping bit is tapered on the end, the first 5mm does not create enough debris for any clogging to occur. By doing "one right, a half left", you break up the cutouts. For metal, you should use a half turn then a quarter turn back.

With some experience, you will end up putting the tapping bit in the drill/screwdriver and go to town with it. But don't do that unless you know what you're doing.

I have a Bosch GSR 10,8-2-LI Professional, and it is one of the most versatile tool I own! A small screwdriver like that makes simbuilding a lot easier!

4. Thanks tiburon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12