500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Windows 7 Networking easy??? Pah!

Surprised there's not a OS and software forum, but nevertheless...

I've recently upgraded my network PC's to Windows 7 (and jumped to FSX too). For the life of me, I'm unable to give the network PC's full read/write access to the FSX folder. I can give other folders (e.g. My Documents, the root of the D drive) full access, but the root of C: remains unaccessible, as does anything in the Program Files folder (and other 'special' windows folders).

I could (maybe should) install FSX, etc. in a 'non-special' location, but how to I enable network users to go (and change) what they want?

I've tried Homegroups, got user passwords set/unset, tried every combination possible. This must be possible!

All PC's running Windows 7 Professional (32Bit).

Sean

25+ Posting Member

Re: Windows 7 Networking easy??? Pah!

Sean
    The only solution I found is to always install fsx, and any other program, away from Program Files as Windows just won't allow you to touch them in PFs.

Den
    BTW I'm not to far away from you- nearest airport is EGNV about 30 miles NE of me.

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Hi Den

Been tackling this problem all day and finally found the fix. I just knew it would be a simple windows option, but there are so many, plus I'm new to Windows 7.

The way round it for me...

User account must have a password... I've always used an Admin account and never used passwords, so this was unwelcome. I want my PC to boot straight to the desktop, not waiting for a password. The way around this is to set a password, then from the command prompt, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes). From the window that pops up, check (or uncheck, can't remember which (I'm writing this on a Mac!)), the top option relating to prompt for password. Once that's done, windows will not ask for the user password at login, even though there is one. It puts it in for you.

Once that's done, go into Change Network settings and the last option refers to letting windows decide who has access to files, or another option. Select the 2nd option. You will be prompted to log off and log back in.

Apart from the usual things about making sure all PC's are in the same Workgroup, and sharing the required drives/folders, that's all there was to it.

I now have full control over all drives, folders and files on each PC in my network.

Forget about Windows 7 Homegroups. That's a mickey-mouse option for sharing music and pics with your Mam and Sister.

I have also assigned static IP addresses (I had no option as the PC's are connected through a simple network switch which does not assign addresses automatically), but this is not essential to the aforementioned process.

Hope that helps someone, however, be aware, you are probably breaking all the rules about PC security!!! If this sounds a bit vague, then please ask and I'll be more specific!

Sean

PS - 30 miles SW of MME! I was in Bridlington yesterday, picking up some nice seats for my sim!

4. Thanks iwik thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Hi Sean,
    I to went thru that same hassle recently. I usually just assign myself as Admin with no password. I messed around for ages
    till someone suggested what you tried. I also did not want to login each time. I just put up with it, so a Big Thanks for the Tip.
    Les