Thread: LED Displays

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

LED Displays

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been answered in some fashion already. Just a quick question about the LED Displays and the Arduino cards... Is it yet possible to read the fuel quantity gauges from FS9 and display them using the Arduino cards on separate little LED Displays??

Normally this wouldnt be a question for anybody building a sim such at the 737 or A320, but I'm soon to embark on a 727 build and need to sort out a way of displaying the remaining fuel on board..

Many thanks for your time!

James.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: LED Displays

Hi James.
    I know Jim will jump in eventually, but it is possible. He was having a play with it a month or so ago and was able to measure from 25% to 100% of fuel capacity. However, he was telling me for some reason extractions from 25% and below were giving him a fit. This may have changed in the last month or so.

-James

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Hi Guys ,, and James ,, thanks for diving in ,, I'm still in "catch-up" mode here so slowly getting on top of it again.
    Reading any of the tank levels (or gallons) is a piece of cake but there seems to be some sort of trick in actually setting (filling) a tank to a certain level ,,, I think I have that sorted and will have a play when I get back into coding in the next few days.

James !!! (Jim's and James's everywhere LOL ) What were you actually needing ??? My "Link2fs_inout" outputs from FSX and FS9 the total fuel percent which you could do math's on and indicate the TOTAL fuel left but maybe that's not what you are needing.
    The sending of that figure to LCD's is a piece of cake.
    Let's know the detail.

See ya's ,, Jim

Whoops ,, just re-read your post,, to drive LED's is a bit more than just driving a common LCD. The other James (Meller) is the man for these ,, I've never played with them but lets know the detail first ??
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

25+ Posting Member

Sure,

Well first of all thanks for your reply! Secondly, I'm in the research stages for building a 727 sim. I was actually on here a year ago looking to do a 737 but personal matters got in the way and then college and then some... So i decided to build a sim that didnt meanturning the A/P back on after 3000ft.

I'm looking to see if I can use 3 LED boards to display the fuel quantity gauges on the engineers panel of the 727... normally this wouldnt be a problem because in the modern aircraft its all computer screens hidden behind the glaseshield, but I cant justify a single monitor for 3 fuel gauges. So I'm looking to see if the LED board would work from preferrably a single Arduino Duemilanove card. Quantity on one line and a little bar over that showing the percentage as a little block that decreases in length would be ideal, but I'd settle either for quantity or percentage though.

Hope this makes sense, and many thanks for your time!

James O

Yes ,, OK James O, I think I've got the general idea. You're a bit like me ,, I like to be "doing something" when I fly and enjoy being "busy" in the cockpit all the time.

Now the fuel tanks ,,, I'm just starting an upgrade of my "inOut" program ,, getting rid of some bugs and adding a lot more extractions. The fuel tanks ,,Left Main ,,, Center Main and Right Main are the three tanks that will be in it so hopefully this will cover what you want. If not then we can sort it out later with a "one of" if need be if you go ahead with this.

When will this be out ??? Not sure but it wont be long ,, I've started on it now.(Work go in the way for over a month !! )

Hope this helps JamesO ,,,, Jim

6. Thanks Quartermaster340 thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Thanks Jim, once I know its possible it allows me to plan for it and move on now.

But just a quick question for you - how many led boards can one arduino card power??

Thanks!

No worries JamesO ,,, I'm still confused as to what you call LED boards though.

As you said ""Quantity on one line and a little bar over that showing the percentage as a little block that decreases in length would be ideal"" makes me think you are talking about LCD screens ???

An LCD screen looks like what I used in the demo on ,,,,
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/link2fs_inout.htm
    which shows the very common and cheap 16x2 (16 characters by 2 lines)
    They are available in lots of combinations and sizes so have a dig around to find one that suits your needs and is compatible with the arduino.

An LED is an 7 or an 8 segment block that when lit, looks like a character.
    JamesM uses then in his project ,,, look at the pictures ,,,
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...ED-display-FSX
    where he use's then on a radio panel.
    They are available as a single character or lots of characters joined together with the common wires all joined together for you.
    Also available are a range of LED's joined and mounted on a board with various methods built in to make it easy to drive them and/or with a simple means built in for easy communications.

Have a dig around ebay and the online electronic / robotic shops ,,, there's heaps of different types out there.

Anyway ,, to answer your question ,, I wouldn't have a clue as to how many ,, I haven't been down that road of running multiple displays but it's commonly done. Maybe some-one else can help here or have a dig thru ,,
    http://arduino.cc/en/

When you get back to it James ,, research whats available and what suits you but before you buy, check it's compatibility etc.

Jim

25+ Posting Member

Sorry Jim,

Im better at aircraft than I am at electronics! Initially in my head I thought of the screen, because I assumed that would be easier to code and arrange. TBH I have no preference between either - if theres an option that uses only one board (my duemilanove) then great, its not something I care to spend much money on really as its so small

Thanks for your patience Jim.

James