Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi from CRJ builder

Just a quick hello. I have been a user of msfs since fs4 and changed to x plane on v9. Now enjoying V10 with Javier Rollon's amazing CRJ simulation. Decided to embark on a project to partially simulate the Captain's half of the CRJ flightdeck, using 5 ipads. The choice for this, although not 100% accurate allows me to 'fly' my panel from the very beginning and add functionality as funds and time become available. I have these up and running for the PFD, Eicas etc.

ipad 1 - pfd using airtrack app
    ipad 2 - efis map modes using airtrack
    ipad 3 - engine and thrust displays using x plane efis app
    ipad 4 - Air Navigation PRO app
    ipad 5 - FMC using Remote CDU from X plane CRJ

For panels I'm using a combination of real CRJ panels and Hispapanels CRJ range. The beauty of the ipads and airtrack is that i can switch displays quickly between radios, autopilot, and flight data without needing a mouse or keyboard. Essential for me. My biggest problem at this stage is restraint. I WILL only simulate a part of the cockpit...I hope.

Display is currently on 55" led display, but have a couple of projectors which at some point in the build will be used.

Cockpit plans have been scaled up, a garage full of parts and mdf, general aviation mockup made to test ipad operations and i'm just about ready to start.

If anyone has any CRJ panels/ parts they are prepared to sell I am of course interested. So, a Mac based, x plane driven simulator CRJ200 on its way. Will update on progress.

All the best

Andy

Re: Hi from CRJ builder

Hi,
    Using 5 ipads for instruments seems overkill to me, but each to his own.
    Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    Hi,
    Using 5 ipads for instruments seems overkill to me, but each to his own.
    Allan.
    Ha ha. I'm not buying them just for this project. I already have a few spare in our household so it seems a good use of them. It is designed so that they are removable in a couple of seconds so can be used by my family when i'm not flying. It's actually an excellent solution, though would not be sensible if I didn't already have a few. I would be interested to hear about anyone who has built a cockpit based around ipads, considering their current and future potential and interactivity. My trial cockpit demonstrated that for simulated purposes they work superbly and of course wirelessly. Refresh rates are not a problem at all, though I had been warned they might be by a non ipad user.

And of course mentioning overkill on this site made me smile. I am so inspired by some of the members masterpieces. Thanks for the encouragement though.

regards

Andy

Waddayamean Overkill....
    I only have a real business jet nose in my garage with a 737 cockpit fitted into it, a feat that even astonished me The laws of physics didnt stand a chance.
    We are all mental, mental I tell you PARPPPP
    People actually tell me to my face that I am mental, so it must be true....wibble wibble.
    Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by notgotaclue View Post
    Waddayamean Overkill....
    I only have a real business jet nose in my garage with a 737 cockpit fitted into it, a feat that even astonished me The laws of physics didnt stand a chance.
    We are all mental, mental I tell you PARPPPP
    People actually tell me to my face that I am mental, so it must be true....wibble wibble.
    Allan.
    ha ha... lol... you make me laugh. cheers mate.

Andy

Andy,
    I'm intrigued by your use of Ipads. I just bought one and found its simplicity and realism as a cockpit display is exciting. I think the selection and quality of apps for sim use will get even better. I plan to slowly add to my collection of one ipad.

Would like to see or hear of any progress you are making, since I just bought Javier's CRJ yesterday.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rgham52 View Post
    Andy,
    I'm intrigued by your use of Ipads. I just bought one and found its simplicity and realism as a cockpit display is exciting. I think the selection and quality of apps for sim use will get even better. I plan to slowly add to my collection of one ipad.

Would like to see or hear of any progress you are making, since I just bought Javier's CRJ yesterday.

Roger
    Thats great Roger. I really believe it is one route forward. I built a generic cockpit using 2 ipads and my iphone running airtrack and airnavpro and was floored by the fun and realism. I truly think that as soon as developers 'get this' they will move quickly. Check out the remote cdu on your ipad for the crj. Think kind of encapsulates what i mean. Ipad 1s are cheap enough now, and wireless. I have emailed airtrack and suggested that they develop the software to specific aircraft and attitude indicators etc.

I am happy to share all photos and knowledge so far on this build. Check out my post in cockpit update. It tells my story so far. Let me know if you are going the same route as i can give u dimensions, photos and references. To my knowledge nobody has explored this fully on mycockpit or anywhere else. Someone has to try and see potential in it. Let me know if i can help.

Btw, there are some AMAZING guys on this forum who know tons about my beloved crj. Check update section and you will see who i mean!!! My new friend is a crj mechanic and he has gone above and beyond, above and under to help me with mine so far. Actually, he has made my project viable...and he knows who he is!

Warmest regards

Andy

My new friend is a crj mechanic and he has gone above and beyond, above and under to help me with mine so far. Actually, he has made my project viable...and he knows who he is!
    I am sure that good looking fellow would appreciate those kind words
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

500+ This must be a daytime job

Ok who will be the first to take apart an iPad to lose the frame thickness and thus make it more feasible for cockpit use

HAHA..We are a group that would be crazy enough to do that..when it stops working, try to return it as defective
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast