Thread: Boeing 727 sim

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing 727 sim

Hi folks,

Currently in the research stages for a project I hope to start this summer... I would just like to get the opinions of more experienced people out there. I hope to start construction on a 727 sim, however I am just wondering which model 727 (in terms of the software manufacturers) would be the best one??

P.S Hoping to use FSX..

Thanks guys

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Boeing 727 sim

I believe there is at least one other person in the forum doing a 727 build, possibly even more. It seems to me the 737 is the most poplar which makes it the easiest to get parts and find building information for.

25+ Posting Member

hi Ed,

thanks for your reply. while i understand that the 737 is the most popular model out there, i chose the 727 as I want to build as much of the sim myself, with my limited understanding of electronics. While the hardware is available for the 73, it comes at a price; and for someone who honestly cant afford to go spending that much money on an mcp and mcdu etc I felt that the 727 was a better option for me.

Also, the fact that I didnt want to go to so much effort and then just press the autopilot button at 3000ft and let RNAV take over had a significant influence on my decision. I'd much prefer to fly the VOR way as it gives you something to do when you are flying and as such you get to work your build more.

P.S I took a quick look at your site as the address was in your sig, really impressive stuff you are doing there, especially with the throttle quadrant - this is exactly what i want to do when i comes around to doing the TQ for my sim! I may be in touch later on with some questions!

Slán from across the pond!

James

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

Hi there James.

There are a few 727 builders on here. I'm one of them and you can find my thread here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...27-200-project
    The 727 is a fantastic plane I think, and I've allways had a thing for steam guages, bells and whistles! To build a 737 glass cockpit never was an option for me. My cockpit is a mix of home made stuff and real 727 hardware.
    With regards to software I'm using FS2004 and the Dream fleet 727. I know some people have successfully adapted this plane for use with FSX, but I decided to go with FS9 due to better performance. When building a 727 a few compromises must be made as there is no 727 software dedicated to cockpit builders available at this time. You can still get a fairly accurate sim though, but you need to be creative to figure out how to find offsets to light up lights etc. I have no outputs in my sim yet, all lights are lit up mechanically. With regards to inputs from switches etc. FSUIPC is an absolute must have. With the mouse macro function you can make any switch do whatever you want in the DF727. Stijn on the forum is another 727 builder, he's building most of his stuff from scratch http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...-727-Simulator

PM me if you have questions, and I'll try to answer as best as I can. I'm still quite new to this though, but I have learnt a thing or two about building a 727 cockpit.

Sláinte
    Tor

5. Thanks Quartermaster340 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hello James,

Thank you for kind words of encouragement. I also am working on a restrained budget myself, so have to be careful how much I spend as well. The building process is extremely rewarding but takes countless hours I wish I had more skills in the electronic area myself. Even after much reading, I still see it as a language from a planet I have not heard of.

Be happy to answer any questions about my TQ that you may want to know. Give me a buzz when you begin your TQ.

Happy flights

7. Thanks Quartermaster340 thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Tor,

What you have is epic, I really wish that someday I could have something as realistic as yours. Unfortunately, for me I dont have the OH panel and other stuff from the 727... I dont think we have too many aircraft grave yards in Ireland. That said, it doesnt really phase me, I like the challenge and most of the switches and covers can be bought real cheap. Might build up a frame from steel/aluminium alloy angles and then cover it in perspex. Then I could make the individual panels from 2mm aluminium sprayed in Boeing grey...

For now, I'm not so worried about the outputs - simple circuitry will give me the right lights when i need them and if I get more skills then I can work from that.

Ed,

I appreciate you offering your help and I will most definately be in touch at some stage!

Thanks Guys,

James.

75+ Posting Member

The 727 is a good choice. I actually went with the DC-9 because of similar reasons. I wanted a full cockpit enclosure with as many real parts, and as easy to interface as possible. (And needed a compact flight deck because it would be inside the house)

Depending on how "nuts" you want to go with the 727, it can be a spendy process. The throttle quadrants are getting more expensive and rarer as they get torn down if you want real parts, and a true flight deck is massive (7-8 feet tall by 10 feet wide, by about 12 feet long if I recall).

The only 727 Payware I know of is the CaptainSim, which is pretty decent, and they do both the 100-200 models.

Are you planning on using real pieces or building your own?
    Jon

25+ Posting Member

Thanks Jon,

I dont plan on using any real parts tbh, as you mentioned they are extremely hard to come by and living in Ireland the shipping would be a nightmare. From my own knowledge of avionics, implementing them into a homebuilt sim could be rather time consuming, and would add significant weight to the structure, thus requiring reinforcements. ALso you would need more room as each module in the MIP would extend far back beyond what the user sees.

While building your own components can compromise slightly on realism, I believe that you get more satisfaction for your work and you end up knowing your system a lot better too. also, the amount of skills you can improve upon are pretty cool too.
    Last edited by Quartermaster340; 04-01-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: didnt realise that the residence of the devil was an expletive!

Hi james,

Welcome, nice to have another 72 builder
    I think you want to go my way, I build everything myself and when i stumble across some cheap parts i purchase them like a VSI for 24 euro's.
    Currently i'm working on the Sidewalls of the cockpit. I will upload some pictures soon.
    I'm 18 years old so don't have a lot to spend. Stuff like the beamer and monitors I bought second hand. I think the most expensive thing i bouhgt for my sim is a 727-100 glass cockpit panel from an old UPS freighter, about 300 euro's. (i used all the hardware on the panel for my sim).

Feel free to ask some more,

Stijn

Link to my build thread --> http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...-727-Simulator

Hi James

Its great to see our Boeing 727 family grow. It felt quit lonely many years ago when I started working on PROJECT 727. I've noticed thoughout the years that the main reason pilots choose to build a 727 simulator reamins the same:
    "... YOU HAVE TO FLY THE BOEING 727"

The best Boeing 727 flight model is found in the Dream Fleet 727 for FS9. This flight model can be flown by "THE NUMBERS" specified in the tables of a B-727 Flight Manual (within the limits of FS9). Having flown profesional full motion 727 sims I can also say that the DF 727 is the best to capture the "FEEL" of flying this clasic jetliner. Even real world 727 pilots that have flown my sim confirm this. If you love the Boeing 727 then the DF 727 is a good reason to stick with FS9.

The Captain Sim 727 for FSX is the BEST to replicate the looks of the 727, but there flight model is very poor. If you try to fly the Captain Sim 727 by the numbers you will probably stall the airplane and crash. I've seen good reviews of the 727 for XPLANE but I have no experience with that sim. However if Microsoft continues to ignore the needs of our flight sim community I may jump over to XPLANE.

Feel free to ask me questions via private message and to browes our web site at www.project727.com
    Hope to see your 727 in the sky soon!!!

Joe Maldonado
    PROJECT 727
    www.project727.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast