Thread: Boeing 727 sim

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Boeing 727 sim

Stijn, Joe,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your advice. I must say its quite interesting that for the 72, people seem to be pushing FS9. This is great as it means I dont need to fork out on a top of the range computer. Seems like it is the Dreamfleet 727 so. While I am looking for a sim that replicated the 727 flightdeck as much as possible, i am also conscious that it flies like the real thing. It would be especially interesting to test the flight charicteristics of the aircraft, and to see in practice the modes of flight, stability and control of the aircraft that I have learned from my undergraduate course in Aero Eng.

While I have just about all of the 727 people on this thread now, I have a fw questions that I hope you can help with.

1) Where did you guys get the dimensions of the panels etc.? Did you guess or take from the 737 or is there I place online i have yet to find?

2) It may be early days yet, but flight manuals - FCOM, QRH etc - are these still around for the 727 or are they at this stage extinct? Is there even a remote chance of a pdf copy?? :O

Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm reception from you all.

James.

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

My MIP was based on some measurements I got hold of and a whole lot of guesstimates. I think the other guys can give you more accurate measurements than I, but I can send you my drawings if you're interested. I might make a new MIP somewhere down the road If I can get accurate measurements. See this hobby does something to you, you go mad bit by bit! lol In the beginning I was like, oh it's close enough, good enough for me.... etc. Now I'm like; Hmmm... It's not perfectly right...

25+ Posting Member

I'd be delighted with any help you guys could give me! Olav, (I hope that is your name!) did you also build the engineer's panel??

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

It's Tor-Olav I usually only use Tor though. No I have not made the engineer panel yet. I have not decided how to go about it. I have to pop it up on the projector to do the engineer business. Don't know how the other fellas operate theirs.
    Send me a PM with your e-mail adress and I'll send you some drawings

25+ Posting Member

Thanks very much Tor. PM Sent.

727 & DC3 Cockpit Builder skyline223's Avatar

I'd just like to chime in here as another 727 builder. I constructed my sim from a retired 727-100 CPT acquired from Fedex. I must say she is the BEST jetliner to fly. You are completely right about having the VOR's to keep you busy, it makes commercial flight much more challenging.

I use FSX and the Dreamfleet 727. I also have flown multiple Level-D motion 727 simulators and I have found it is the best flight model out there, at least for FSX.

I would also be glad to answer any questions you may have. I have fought the fight of interfacing that all of us 727 builders have fought due to lack of software support.

Happy landings,

Will
    www.727simulator.com

Hi james,

Measurements i took from a 727 mip I own. Glareshield i guessed some and got some from micheal carter (search on the forum for his threads, unfortuantly he is no longer active here). For shell and interior measurements i used 737 drawnings.
    But for specific measurements you could contact Nick at APHS ex united pilot, believe he flew the 72 also.

As for ''the feel'', i think this is the most dificult part about building a sim. Real flight simulators use electric motors in a force feedback system. But i use normal springs, also seen projects with gassprings.
    And like the others all ready said, the dreamfleet 727 is the best add-on. But don't feel like you have to use FS2004. There are aircraft converters around who convert a FS2004 aircraft to FSX.

Also send you a PM for manuals,

Stijn

25+ Posting Member

Thanks Will for the reply.

Did you use the FSUIPC mouse macro thing to capture your switches and rotaries etc??

Also, how did you get the flight instruments expanded Did you use the FSXpand program or did you go down another route??

Thanks,

James

727 & DC3 Cockpit Builder skyline223's Avatar

I used FSUIPC mouse macros for many of the 727 specific commands (ex. F/E panel). For more default commands, (anti-ice, pitot heat, etc.) I used preset parameters within the InterfaceIT Managment software that came with my FDS InterfaceIT cards.

My captain and F/O flight displays are connected directly to my main computer that also runs the master copy of FSX and the visuals. I run only the engine panel from a networked computer using WideView, which as many know is very poor program for networking instruments and avionics, but it works good enough for the engine and flap gauges. All the gauges are displayed via a custom panel made in FSPanelStudio.

Quote Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
    But for specific measurements you could contact Nick at APHS ex united pilot, believe he flew the 72 also.
    I would also be willing to share any measurements needed for the 727. Our CPT was built in 1965 from Boeing factory plans so every measurement is dead on.

Will

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyline223 View Post

I would also be willing to share any measurements needed for the 727. Our CPT was built in 1965 from Boeing factory plans so every measurement is dead on.

Will
    I would be very grateful for that if it would not be too difficult for you. Thanks very much!

James.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast