Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Decals and RAL paint-code for 737

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and I am looking for decals and RAL paint-codes for 737 throttle. I am currently building up a throttle for an older flightdeck Solution MIP, and need some info on this matter.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Decals and RAL paint-code for 737

Hi,

This site has Decals. I found the Boeing Font and made many of them myself. You will find the Flap, Speed Brake and Trim Scale decals on this site as well as a few others for the throttle. Rudy also lists the RAL colors he used for his throttle build. http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm The site will translate into English.

I had a company mix up some RAL 7011 here in Canada and he said it was called 'Iron Grey'. It seems a bit dark to my mind, but now that I've started with it, I'll continue on through I guess, unless I find the proper Boeing code, which to date I haven't. The colors on the net are very deceiving to look at and choose from, which makes it quite difficult.

PS: Welcome to the forum

3. Thanks Boeing-737- thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

RAL 7011 is what most people are using for the dark grey/bluey 'Boeing' colour. I got some mixed too, and it's almost identical to the FDS and FlyEngravity panels I have. Certainly close enough not to worry about!

5. Thanks Boeing-737- thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Sean,

Glad you posted. I was wondering about the 7011 I had mixed here. Had a hard time finding a dealer who could find RAL paint codes. The colour I have is kind of like you describe, dark grey blue. Appreciate the confirmation on the colour, as I have no panels yet to date to match up to.

300+ Forum Addict

Gables Engineering makes a number of units which are used in Boeing aircraft. A few years ago Gables published a servce letter listing colors and touch up paint sources. Here's what was listed:

•DACO Gray, Fed Spec 595-36118 used on metal and plastic panels. Use Testors #1723 Gunship Gray.
    •Boeing 705 or Dove Gray, Light Gray used on knobs. Use Testors #1730 Flat Gull Gray.
    •Light Blue Gray, Fed Spec 595-36463 used on Airbus knobs. Use Testors #2109 French Light Blue Gray (flat).
    •Dark Blue Gray Fed Spec 595-35164 used on Airbus metal and plastic panels. Use Testors #2105 French Dark Blue Gray (flat).
    •Dark Brown, Boeing spec 8924 used on keyboard buttons. Use Testors #4365 Burnt Brown. (This is a water-based acrylic.)
    •Beige, Boeing spec 8925 used on knobs. Used Testors # 4720 Sand (flat). (This is a water-based acrylic.)
    •Brown, Boeing spec 8328 used on metal and plastic panels. Use Testors #2008 Raw Sienna (flat).

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Interesting information Mike, thanks for sharing.

Testors is a term (company?) I've never come across before. Is it similar to the RAL colour code system? Is the RAL thing worldwide, or specific to certain parts of the world (e.g. Europe)?

Sean

300+ Forum Addict

Testors is a US company which markets paints and other suppliers for model makers. I think Gables referred to Testors because the paints are readily available, at least if you're in the US. I don't think the paints would be cost effective for large projects, but Gables suggests them for touchup work.

The real value in the Gables service letter is that it lists many panel and knob colors by FS595 color codes which, depending on where you are, might be easier to source.

RAL is a family of European color systems. Wikipedia has a good overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL_(color_space_system)

150+ Forum Groupie

Great information. Thanks Mike.

PS: If you all follow up on the Wikipedia link that Mike posted, one of the off links will take you to a RAL Color chart http://www.ralcolor.com/ which lists the matching names of each RAL Colour. I looked for 7011 and it's listed as Iron Grey, which is what the fellow who mixed it for me said had said it was. I printed out the gunship grey panel on the Revell site and it also matched very closely to what I have painted so far on my TQ. I now feel quite comfortable to continue on with RAL 7011, or in Canada, Iron Grey

500+ This must be a daytime job

The following links provide a wealth of information and cross referencing between Federal Standard paint references, Ral, Testors, Humbrol and a few others.

http://www.fair2middling.com/old/paint.htm

http://www.humbrol.com/convert-to-hu...ersion-tables/

David

12. Thanks DHABERT, Sean Nixon thanked for this post

Thx a bunch for your inputs regarding decals and RAL-codes. I found this very helpful.
    I also need decals for the clipboard on the yoke, so if you have any ideas I would be very greatful if you could help me out on that one as well.

The throttle that I made is a buildt-in GF-TQ6. As I find it quite expensive to buy the real deal atm, or even the spare time to build one, I made a lookalike throttle with this item. It looks ok, and with decals and the right color and even with trim-dummies and working lights and buttons, It should be ok at the end. Now I also need the decals for the yoke-clipboard as well as stated.

Thx again :~)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast