Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A not so dumb dummy gauge?

I am building a cockpit with analogue gauges. I am using monitors to simulate the gauges. There are other gauges that I would like to include, but it is not possible to include them on a monitor.

I was wondering if it was possible to use automotive gauges to simulate amp/voltage, apu rpm. I would not actually interface these gauges, just add power to them when a switch is used. For example, starting the apu, the gauge either reads 0 or 100%. Voltage gauges are equally boring and I would be happy just to have them read something when powered, just to add some realism, accuracy is not really important since detailed electrical or apu failures don't seem to be simulated.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Re: A not so dumb dummy gauge?

Some gauges are aircore, some are actual voltage gauges... If your going to go through the trouble to make them work, might as well make them talk to the system.
    Having a gauge that moves but actually represents nothing goes against everything I believe in. I mean Disney uses that all the time for their rides, and it works on people who don't have a clue to begin with. Put some one in front of it who actually tries to use their brains...
    Sorry, I have no idea why this struck a nerve with me.

You should actually put the gauge there, and place an INOP sticker across the face, now you have a fully working dummy gauge!

75+ Posting Member

Actually, I rather like Disneyworld rides. I would love my flight simulator to be as immersive as, say, the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride. But I'm sorry if my idea rubbed you the wrong way. It is a rather lazy approach. I had this idea because of an add-on I use, the Skysim DC9. Their overhead panel does not seem to use actual FSX gauges. The APU gauge for example only shows 2 values, 0 and 100%. The APU needle jumps immediately to 100% when turned on, and no other APU conditions other than on or off are represented. The sames goes for the electrical gauges. I tried adding an APU gauge to the panel, but it didn't work. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Well you can't do much with a poor quality aircraft. If you want to simulate this dummy gauge you can use steppers, servo's, aircore, or a simple voltage meter. All can be done with a mcu or arduino.

75+ Posting Member

Thanks. Yes that is poor quality. The Project Tupolev Tu-154 APU gauge models the jerky motion of the APU gauge as it starts up, just like the real AC. Total quality.

Thanks

orwell84,

Have you considered buying real engine gauges and modifying them with servo's, then interfacing them with Open Cockpits USB I/O boards? I did this, and if i can do this anyone can.

The problem you will find with using monitors to sumulate gauges, is you will not be satisfied...at least i wasn't.

75+ Posting Member

Thanks for the reply,

Actually, I am satisfied with monitor gauges, for the most part. I will definately look into your suggestion. I could see myself doing a few gauges like this, but not an entire cockpit. It would be particularly helpful for warning lights and gauges that could not be fit on a monitor.

Thanks again for your help.

Gidday I too think monitor gauges are ok if they are bezelled right, to have a rough hole cut out in a piece of ply aint so good, but with a little care and attention it works.

Quote Originally Posted by CWFlightsim View Post
    Gidday I too think monitor gauges are ok if they are bezelled right, to have a rough hole cut out in a piece of ply aint so good, but with a little care and attention it works.

How did you create your bezzles? Are they some sort of inserts or just cut at angles?

Gidday, believe it or not, I cut the top off some mini plastic flower pots, painted them black and they fit perfect, the square ones are MDF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast