Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Panel Measurments

Hey everybody, after a few months i'm back with another question.....what is the best way to measure a overhead panel?

i have access to a JS31 panel and i'm going today to take a look at it, and just wondering what the best way to transfer the panel to a sheet of plywood or MDF (router???), or if i should just go out there with a tape and a sheet of paper and take it switch by switch??

any help would be much appreciated, and the faster the better.

Theo

150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Panel Measurments

Hopefully, this is not too late. But if you are going to take any measurements, make sure you have two lines of reference, perpendicular to each other. This makes the measuring job a lot easier. And if you can, take lots of pictures of the panels as "straight on" as you possibly can. It is then easy to use photoshop or similar software to correct for lens distortion and produce a 1:1 image with 100% straight lines. Using your measurements as reference, it is easy to make a 1:1 drawing of the panels. From there, its just a matter of transferring the drawing onto plexi glass, mdf or what have you.

Another point: if you are going to measure the distance from (for example) the MIP to the rear bulkhead, measure in a triangle. For instance, distance from left lower side of the MIP and the distance from left corner of pedestal. This gives you an exact (relatively) point - as long as you know the distance the pedestal corners are from the MIP (using the same method).

Not sure what you mean by transferring to ply or mdf? Is it the light plates or the whole panels?