25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Creating A/T with Arduino...Help?

Hi all!

I purchased an arduino uno board today with the intent of motorizing my homemade throttle. Unfortunately, I don't know
    where to begin with regards to interfacing with FSX. I have found numerous program samples on the internet, but they either
    control way too many functions to be of any use to me or only deal with x-plane.

I have checked out Link2FS, but it doesn't have any support for any throttle function.

I would really appreciate any help in getting this project off the ground. Perhaps there are a few people out there who have
    done this before?

Thanks,

Steve

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Re: Creating A/T with Arduino...Help?

Hi Steve,

I was wondering why you selected this Arduino board?

From their web site I read that it is a generic, powerful tool, but not particularly targeted to building home cockpits.
    Systems such as Opencockpits, FSBUS, what have you..., are more appropriate for this task.

I'm not saying it is impossible with the Arduino board, but I don't know. Hope an Arduino expert will step in.

Regards,
    Nico
    Last edited by kiek; 03-04-2012 at 09:19 AM.

10+ Posting Member

Hi, Steve.
    I also own an arduino (Mega). Personally, without having a way to compare it FSBUS, I find it very powerful and versatile. JimNZ's Link2FS program is currently undergoing an overhaul to allow more extractions and such. I'm unsure of when he will be ready for the release, but this may be a great time to ask him for N1% extractions and whatever else you may need.

-James

10+ Posting Member

I forgot to mention - he also has a page to build your own "Link2FS" in VBNet or C# at this link: http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsxfs9inouts.htm

Using his examples, I quickly learned how to build my own VBNet program for things other than Arduino and use his Link2FS for the arduino since it has everything I need (so far).

hey, did you think about arcom_by_marc? it is a protocol/software with which you can use Serial Output from a program like prosim737. I am the founder/developer. If you want and are willing to donate a few bucks (only if everything works out) I could write you a personalized piece of software to control one or two servos with prosim. (the systems software from prosim is free for non commercial use. this includes the A/T output which can be numerial and thus used by ARCOM)

all the best,
    marc
    "It is LEGEN... wait for it.... DARY" ARCOM_by_Marc

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up using the great dva2fsx program. I tried the link2fs program, but it didn't have support for autothrottle. It took some experimenting, but it now works.

I chose the Arduino board for a few reasons. Being only fifteen, I don't have the money to buy a ready-made motorized throttle. Also, I don't have a credit card, so ordering online is a bit of a hassle. Luckily, RadioShack carries the Arduino board.

I am also planning on motorizing a few gauges for my pit.

Steve