Thread: securing decals

150+ Forum Groupie

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

securing decals

Hello everyone,

I've printed out decals on Avery Decal transparent film with my inkjet, removed the backing and stuck the decals to my quadrant in all the places that they need to go. I have a problem though with them remaining in place, which for these is normal, so I brought out the clear coat and proceeded to make a runny mess. Googling the net tells me the best way to apply a plastic clear coating over an ink jet decal is with a short fine mist from a spray can or an air brush type of app. . This would be very difficult in my case, but not impossible, would much rather apply with a brush.

Some on the web have suggested to try printing with a laser, although the sheets I have are designed for an inkjet and the ink is dry to the touch. Waited several hours before applying the clearcoat.

Have any of you had success using a clearcoat with a small brush and not made the ink of the decal run? If so, I'd be glad to hear the details.

All the best

Ed Burton

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: securing decals

Hello all,

Well, here I go replying to my own query again, haha, but the idea is to make the thread worthwhile, and to help anyone else with these issues in the future. The trick is to use many quick light sprays, and is most effective to prevent running to do so when the first several light coats are still tacky. For spraying I used a Krylon low odour clear gloss suitable for use indoors and water cleanup (47110). After 4 to 5 light mistings I painted on several coats of acrylic polyurethane wood clear coat finish with a small brush. No Runs and the decals are sticking well so far. Only the test of time remains to be seen. When I'm finished all the decals I'll post pics on my website so all can see the results. Until then,

Happy Flights,

Ed

PS: I used Avery Clear Decal full sheets for my decal printouts on an HP Inkjet and I printed out the decals in Boeing Font. I'm happy with the results so far.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Do you have any pictures of the results, Ed?
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

150+ Forum Groupie

Hello AK Mondo,

I will have pictures posted soon. I'm thinking tomorrow or late this evening EST.

Pictures are now up for anyone interested at address below.

Ed

www.737ngxca.com