Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

INSTRUMENT MONITOR ORIENTATION??

Hi Folks.

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure instrument gauges etc so that they can be read with the monitor on it's side? I hope to place a monitor virtically so I can put GPS at the top, and eng gauges at the bottom. Reason for up-ending is space available!

Here's hoping!

TONY, Plymouth UK

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: INSTRUMENT MONITOR ORIENTATION??

Hi Tony
    depends on what software you are using. If you are using FSX then no problems you can use FSpanel studio to arrange your guages to any size, shape position orientation
    regards
    geoff

You can also set your graphics adapter to display portrait mode. Beware: not all monitors have the same vertical viewing angle compared to the horizontal.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Tony,

I have used a little freeware called IRotate.
    If you google this you will find a few outlets. This works perfectly and will do what you are trying to do.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Hi Tony,

I have used a little freeware called IRotate.
    If you google this you will find a few outlets. This works perfectly and will do what you are trying to do.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    Hi Bernie.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if this software will work with just one monitor? I use six including outside view and I would not want them ALL altered!

Thanks.

TONY.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Tony,

As far as I can recall it only affects the computer it is installed on. I think from memory (without installing it again) that if there are more than one monitor connected, you are able to assign which monitor you want changed. Give it a go it is freeware and see. I can install again if necessary.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesthesoftware View Post
    Hi Tony
    depends on what software you are using. If you are using FSX then no problems you can use FSpanel studio to arrange your guages to any size, shape position orientation
    regards
    geoff
    Hello and thanks for your comments.

I have an old version of FS Panel Studio, and cannot see how to turn the gauges? I can write the gauges OK, but turning them on their sides so that they are upright when I turn the monitor seems impossible! Can you tell me how to do this? I want to end up with a portrait version ready to be dragged and dropped onto the turned monitor. Ideally, it would be great if I could write the panel and turn the whole thing afterwards and save???

Hope you can help.

Regards,

TONY, Plymouth UK

Maybe I am missing something but why don't you simply rotate your monitor settings from within Windows or the driver of your graphics adapter? Example in Windows 7:

windows-7-display-settings.png

Simply right click on your desktop and go into screen resolution. Vista and XP have similar settings. If not, click your graphics adapter driver in the system tray near the clock and almost every brand has a setting to rotate the screen. Hope this helps.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but why don't you simply rotate your monitor settings from within Windows or the driver of your graphics adapter? Example in Windows 7:

windows-7-display-settings.png

Simply right click on your desktop and go into screen resolution. Vista and XP have similar settings. If not, click your graphics adapter driver in the system tray near the clock and almost every brand has a setting to rotate the screen. Hope this helps.
    Hi
    Thanks for your interest. I am none too bright, but I have been to screen resolution but do not know what I am supposed to do to alter orientation at this point? The graphics cards driving my instrument screens are VERY low mb, and the sort you can pick up for a couple of pounds on ebay! They cant be tinkered with. This is why I would like to make panels in FS Studio so that I can drag them to whichever monitor - but I don't know how to re-orientate the gauge build in the first place!

I am contacting FS Panel Studio to see if I can build the gauges tilted 90 degrees so that they will right themselves on the tilted monitor.

Thankyou very much.

Regards,

TONY, Plymouth UK

Ok that might be the problem. What is your OS, is it Windows XP, Vista or 7? And what is the make of that adapter? Maybe I can have a look.
    Arjen
    -----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast