500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Split Avionics Master Switch

Builders,

I have a bit of a conundrum...

Does FSX model different avionics busses? I have an opportunity to put in a split avionics master switch, but cannot tell if it will function correctly. I had a look at the FSUIPC command list, but it does not seem to have anything more than one avionics master offset.

Has anyone done anything different in their GA pit?

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: Split Avionics Master Switch

One half of the switch is ALT the other is BAT. They operate independent of each other. The ALT can't start the airplane or systems but the BAT can. However with the BAT on it will quickly discharge in flight as it's sending all the electrical to your systems. It will continue to do so until you turn it off or the battery runs dead which ever comes first. The Battery can be charged like your car but only if you turn your ALT on.

So once your aircraft is started but before you turn on your avionics you switch from on to the other. There is a point when both are on.

Consult your BEFORE ENGINE START and BEFORE TAXI checklist.

In essence what you would need in the sim is a timer from the moment you engage the BAT half so it acts as the ALT switch. Similar to the gear control. Then when you engage the ALT side the timer is bypassed. If the plane has no RPM then the ALT switch should do nothing.

This would be something that is modeled 'outside' of the normal operation of the flight sim. In the electrical of the aircraft model depending on who made it. There could be an accessible control for the ALT/BAT 'Master' switch. If so it's just a question of pointing your 'real' switch to those controls. If not you may need to create a piece of hardware to simulate the electrical control as described above.

Key to Mouse (Keystroke to Mouse click software)

With the above software you can assign a keystroke to a mouse click at specific location. So.. if the switch exists and functions in a 2D panel of your aircraft you...

a - Assign each ON and OFF of each side of the switch to a separate keystroke.
    b - Then those keystrokes to separate mouse clicks and you're good to go.

Remember you need to assign the 'OFF' as well so 4 keystrokes.

My two cents.
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

500+ This must be a daytime job

Not exactly what I was asking Ron.

FSX already correctly models the Master Alt and Bat functions. It is even easier to set up than you mention. FSUIPC commands are toggle alt and toggle bat, or something similarly simple. That is done and solved.

I am talking about the avionics master switch. It opens/closes power from the alt/bat power bus to the avionics, to protect them. Some aircraft have 2 or more avionics busses in the real world. I don't think FSX models more than 1 avionics bus, so I am trying to see if anyone knows differently.

Thanks for the input though,

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

25+ Posting Member

So far as I know FSX only models 1 avionics bus. You could include a split switch for authenticity and then just wire one up and use one as a dummy?

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

You could also wire the display of what is connected to each bus. So that bus (a) runs radios and bus (b) runs gps. I was just thinking you could do an end run around the software and go hardware kind of. That is if FSUIPC doesn't allow it (not keyed) you could make a physical bus switch by making the display dark or bright depending on your selection. It could increase your setup as your stack isn't necessarily setup with bus connections in sequence. Don't know if Key to Mouse would have macros (mulitple mouse positions for single key)?

You thinking of going with a 'Glass' cockpit? Of the aircraft I've scene the C206H (Garmin G1000) has a dual bus system. I would think mostly the aircraft with heavy duty glass are the ones that would require a second bus. It does protect the electronics but I think it's to also divide the breakers up better as the power demands are so much greater with the glass.

I sometimes think beyond the software because it can't do everything. Sometimes a 'hard - real world' wiring solution can work too.

Cheers
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian