Thread: Display news...

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Display news...

Hi GeneB

Have you got any images of what the visuals could like?

I would seriously save up the money if I knew that I was getting the product.

Thanks.

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

150+ Forum Groupie

Alex, take a look around on my YouTube channel. There are a few videos that show what the display looks like from a the user's standpoint, but understand that video cannot show you the full effect of the system. My channel is at http://www.youtube.com/f15sim

tnx!

g.

3. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Hi Gene, I will definitely commit to a large one for my 737 cockpit. Please add me to your list. I will buy whatever type of kit/parts you guys come up with. Let me know when you need the deposit and how much. Thanks for your efforts.
    Best regards,
    Tim McNamara MD
    doc.mcnamara@gmail.com

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks Tim. Keep in mind that it will be some time before we're ready - I'm going into the hospital on Tuesday and won't be working on hobby projects till sometime in March or April.

g.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi G...

Yes I have seen these videos and didnt realise this was yours! But saying that your probably the only one in the world that has gone as far as 'collimated' for the home sim.

Also, one thing that I noticed, was that you need the vacuum to keep the Mylar in shape, how can you combat the noise problem, would you need a sound proof box and/or whack up your amplifiers a bit!

Next question; Would you not be able to sell the drawings and Mylar as a package? That way we could cnc our own parts and save on over the top worldwide delivery prices. We could fetch our own hardware to make the screen, and follow some sort of guide to make the screen...

Cheers,

Alex
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 02-11-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    GA or the Highway!

150+ Forum Groupie

As far as we know, Wayne & I have built the only DIY collimated display for a home built flight simulator.

The noise problem is easily mitigated by putting the vacuum source in a sound proof (or close to it) enclosure. I haven't taken that step yet as things are too fluid to go that route.

I don't have any problems at all selling just a CD with CAD files on it and a place to buy the Mylar from - the main issue is that while it's relatively cheap to design something like this, it's no where near cheap to build a prototype and write an instruction manual for the whole process. Until some minimum number of kits get pre-ordered, no prototype will be built - it's just too costly for us to shoulder all the costs involved. We couldn't in good faith sell something we hadn't built - there could be some little tiny error hiding in a drawing that makes the whole thing scrap wood.

g.

75+ Posting Member

Gene,

I sent you a PM, but not certain it got through. If received, please acknowledge.

John

75+ Posting Member

photo.jpg

Hey Gene,

In terms of vertical space it seems to me that a fixed base B737 simulator built to actual size needs relatively little. Attached is a picture of the front projection screen (designed and built by Art May-Alyea at Northern Flight Sim) that I currently use. In the vertical dimension it is only 33 inches, which I think is close to the same vertical height of the prototype you are building now (forgive me for not taking the time to search back through the threads).

For the forward view especially, the view from the crew seats is very limited in the vertical dimension. I think that was one reason the original 737 (and the 707) had eyebrow windows. The next window back allows a much wider vertical field of view, but I would certainly be willing to give up some reality at the bottom of those side views in order to have a collimated display.

Sorry to hear that you are going to be out of commission for a while... hope everything goes smoothly for you in the hospital.

Peter
    Follow my progress at www.fly737ng.com

150+ Forum Groupie

Peter, ball park dimensions for a 737 are a 15'x25' room with a 10' ceiling. The critical dimension isn't the size of the cockpit, it's the position of the screen relative to the mirror.

Once Wayne & I get a chance to flesh ideas out more we'll have more concrete answers for you guys.

Me, I plan to spend most of the week counting purple unicorns.

g.

10+ Posting Member

Has anyone heard how Gene is doing? Hope all is well and he is well on his way to full recuperation!

Regards,
    Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast