Thread: DC-9 cockpit

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question DC-9 cockpit

Attachment 6130Attachment 6131

I have been busy working on removing the miles andmiles of wires inside the cockpit. Any ideas on what I can use to cover the front of the section?

Re: DC-9 cockpit

Hi,
    I would just use hardboard or MDF, after all, nobody is going to see the front section.
    What I did with mine was to hollow it out and fit a door- (yes it was a pig of a job but worth the effort) - my computer systems will fit in there nicely.
    Allan.

3. Thanks flyinghigh thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

If I'm right, I think MDF is banned in some countries, I am pretty sure MDF is banned in the USA, they use HDF I think its called.

I totally agree, the hardboard is the way to go, as its flexi and easy to cut, and saves headaches!

I made my first MIP out of hardboard (not the best for MIP's at all), but for linings, I'd take the advice of Allan who's in the same boat as you.

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

25+ Posting Member

Thanks. I do want to use something that is easy to cut and trace while at the same time being flexible. I want to duplicate this at the opening in the back too

Perry

75+ Posting Member

Hey Perry, glad to see you over here as well!

If you do decide at all you want to do metal stuff to avoid seams or last outside longer, I decided to go with this website called "OnlineMetals". I don't know about shipping to Canada, but I know for me, the pieces that you measured for me on that back wall walkway will be metal to help with the seams and also make it lighter and still stronger than the wood.

Jon

25+ Posting Member

Thanks Jon,

I was thinking that wood or hard board may not be a good choice in that the cockpit will be outside for part of the year. I need something that can withstand the elements especially rain and wind. How is your project going? I came across another MD-80 builder and he's in Switzerland.....very cool project using a real DC-9 cockpit shell. Perry

75+ Posting Member

Ahh yes, I know the Swiss MD-80 project well. I'm interested to see how he modifies the center console to be a MD-80, as the shell was from a DC-9-51.

My project is coming along well. I recently received the metal pieces to do the inside sidewall, and the instrument panel is lookin' GREAT

I don't remember if I'd showed you this before or not, but this is what I have thus far as a "layout" rather than assembly:
    http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...20120107_6.jpg

In the next two weeks, I hope that I can have the sidewal put together with the observer seat and that, so I can start condensing pieces down. The walkway may be one of the first pieces done, just because of having the pieces, not reliant on such fine measurements, and then that will enable me to attach it to the floors, and work to mount the overhead to the structure right away.

I've also started doing some of the subflooring on the upper level of the flight deck using your photos and measurements. I am just waiting on a few pieces to arrive (if they ever get pulled...it's been a few weeks now), so I'm hoping that this will fix everything up.

I'll send you a referral letter from OnlineMetals, then they give you huge discounts. It's really pretty great...they have good pricing, and shipping is via standard UPS, so I've not had more than $30-40 in shipping.
    Jon
    Jon

25+ Posting Member

Jon, from looking at the photos and the work you have done on the MIP I can see that you have made considerable progress and it does look great. Thank-you for the lead on metal.

Perry

75+ Posting Member

Heh.....I blame you for converting me to a "purist" though. C-FTMB will be as accurate as I can make her. I am going to be doing the pre-ACARS version to help keep at the height of realism. The overhead should come along nicely in a few weeks too as I have replacement decals. I am trying to get measurements on the depth of the walkway on the right side in hopes to mount the door as well...

I will put your email in for online metals so you can get an extra discount.
    jon

25+ Posting Member

lost the thread....anyways consider yourself one of only a few who are building DC-9 cockpits out there. We are preserving a bit of history and that's cool. Some days I want to sell everything and other days I want to keep building....can't seem to make up my mind what to do.

Perry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast