25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

727 throttle refurb pics/progress for anyone who just likes to look at throttles

I started tearing up a 727 TQ a while back and have taken a few pics along the way for anyone who might like TQ guts or has any suggestions for me along the way. so far so good.. The pics are in the photobucket link below. Mix of before cleaning and after cleaning with my pots and "pot drives" installed. Actually snapped enough of it back together a few nights ago and cal'd the axis' and test flew a few loops out of LAX and it really was a rush. Using a POKEYS board. Nothing fancy here. Right now only going to use 2 of the 3 throttles since I am going to rig up prosim and work up a 737. I wasn't going to cry about this being 727 vs 737 so it will work for me since I'm not a purist. I have a ways to go on it but it's cool to at least get it clean and get the pots spinning. Oh I am not planning to motorize at least at this point but maybe later. The mechanisms in the lower "tank" would lend themselves to it later probably tho. Not sure what I'll do if anything with the trim wheel functionality yet either. Let me know what you think or any ideas you have. dave austerman

http://photobucket.com/727-TQ

2. Thanks AVIATor-Olav thanked for this post

Re: 727 throttle refurb pics/progress for anyone who just likes to look at throttles

Reminds me of my L1011 TQ, nice job so far with the pots, I see you used some decent quality ones. Must be nice not to have to worry about auto throttles!

25+ Posting Member

Re: 727 throttle refurb pics/progress for anyone who just likes to look at throttles

Thanks, I knew autothrottles would be a stretch for my skills on this project! Maybe somewhere down the road I'll get brave and attempt an upgrade or try that on another throttle quad altogether. I'm happy just imagining those levers are actually moving and not worrying about syncing servo positions and calibration.

300+ Forum Addict

Just two comments for you:

1. Why not just convert it to a 737 Quad? Rmove the #1 and use #2 and #3 as the number #1 and #2. You can get throttle knobs to match, and everything else would be the same. Although, you would have to change out the Flaps Position Guide and the metal piece where the flap handle sets into the notches...

2. Can you imagine all the grime, gunk, sweat, spilt drinks, crumbs of food, and whatever other things you can think of are wrapped in the mess around the throttles gearing. You know it looks like dust balls or dust mountains, but guess again... Hope you wore gloves...

My first one was just as bad in some places; although, I haven't converted it yet. The other one that is attached in the B727 cockpit waiting for a shed is still attached, so someday we'll get to see what you just saw...OMG!

BSD

25+ Posting Member

I have considered converting to a 737 quad but don't know if I'm up to it for a while. I might just see if eventually I come onto an actual 737 TQ and just rebuild it instead. I wouldn't mind leaving this one original and keeping a bit of 727 history intact. I don't have tons of extra room but I could make room for an extra TQ here in my basement just to stare at just because it's such a cool piece of hardware to have around.
    This one was full of 40 plus years of gunk and I seriously doubt it was ever thoroughly cleaned out (at least like I did). Quite a mess but cleaned up with a little work- mainly the dis/reassembly. Like I say, the best cleaner with super easy rinsing power is the orange cleaner that I found here for one us dollar a bottle (very cheap).
    I don't really look forward to doing it again if i do up a 737 tq but the mechanical mods will be much quicker next time.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

hi Dave , a great job , I'm new to this ,I used to fly the 727. I'm looking for throttle levers......... or measurements ........ any Ideas will be appreciated

Ray

AviatorOlav is actively building a 727 pit right now, you might have more luck with him.

25+ Posting Member

Ray, Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Have been working and then getting home and working on sim projects at night. I have the 727 TQ but using it in my 737 cockpit. I picked it up from a company that was tearing up a few 727s . The ebay prices aren't too bad but shipping starts to add up. If you decide to build one yourself from scratch or using a mix of real and scratch parts I can measure anything/everything you might want. Just let me know. Also like Avro748 mentioned, AviatorOlav is doing up a 727 pit you might have seen his main thread. It is quite impressive. Keep me/us posted on your ideas and progress...

Hello,
    looks very nice - good job. I know how much work this is. I am currently restoring a Caravelle cockpit and converting it into a sim (www.facebook.com/flycaravelle).
    I like the poti construction. Is that a 10 turn potentiometer and how exactly does it work? Looks like a tough construction.
    Regards
    Nils
    Attached Images Attached Images

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hello Dave could u give me an idea about the price of the 727 pedestal or tq ? thanks
    Ray