Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New GA Gauge Software for FSX

Happy New Year All -

It's been a long time for me posting here. I finally got back to "simming" and wanted to see if anyone else is using a new product from SIMPLUGINS - PanelBuilder for FSX. It looks like there is also a version available for XPlane.

I just purchased and installed it on a second networked computer. Installation and setup was easy and the price was very reasonable. This product has some minor issues but over all I am very happy with it and think that it has a lot more potential.

I am curious if anyone else is using this product or can recommend other products that you had success/satisfaction with making GA panels.

Thanks -
    Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Re: New GA Gauge Software for FSX

Hi Daniel
    Intersting post, I've never seen this product before.
    I use the PEIX GAPanel for my (generic) simpit, see http://www.peixsoft.com/index.php?page=ga-panel. It also runs on a second pc over the network and runs smoothly without any problems for several years now- can't remember how many I've had it that long.
    You say you have some minor issues, what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by den19 View Post
    Hi Daniel
    Intersting post, I've never seen this product before.
    I use the PEIX GAPanel for my (generic) simpit, see http://www.peixsoft.com/index.php?page=ga-panel. It also runs on a second pc over the network and runs smoothly without any problems for several years now- can't remember how many I've had it that long.
    You say you have some minor issues, what are they?
    The software update was not working properly and I didn't know where to modify the gauge parameters. Since my post, I have received a reply from the company and they helped me out.

They were also very open to my suggestions on product features and wanted to know what other gauges I would like to see in their product.

25+ Posting Member

Hello,

I have visited the websites both of you have mentioned as well as other sites. All have answered many questions as well as created more questions. Since my cockpit will be generic, as yours, and allow me to chose different aircraft as I desire. My current plan is to build a panel that is similiar to a G1000 setup, (talking about button and switches) but allow for different gauges to be displayed on the LCD depending on what I am flying. I have done a search here and other cockpit builder sites as well as googled and have not found an answer to the question. How does one go about building and providing the proper code for network gauges?

I have seen several programs that deal with specific parts of the gauge. For example: A small program that provides easy placement of the radial marks on the face of the gauge. I have also seen Gauge Composer mentioned however every link I have located does not work or provides a 404 error.

Someone knowledgeable direct me in the correct direction? Not asking you to feed me fish...asking you to show me how to fish.

Thanks

Jake

The problem with simplugins is it's horrible update rate. I have my fsx locked to 30fps(for my own reasons) and i run all my gauges from networked machines. when I run gauges from other people (fsxpand , piex , pm , even stuff from the gauges factory) i get 30fps or better on the displayed gauges. However the SimPlugins panel runs at a HORRIBLE frame rate. it jitters horribly. I went through all the performance suggestions from the SimPlugins webpage and none of them increased the perormance. But to be fair, it is NOT the panel app that is the issue, it is the server component of the program that causes the issue. The highest poll rate that is suggested by the manufacture is 250ms . Well, if you do the math , it means that it is only updating @ 7.575fps , then averaging between updates.

I don't know why SP's didnt write the panel software to pull data directly from simconnect instead of pulling from a daemon that is pulling from simconnect on the FSX box.

Basically the software looks great, easy to modify and adjust gauges, and is a well priced software. If you don't mind the almost seizure inducing jitter and it's horrible frame rate, you will be very happy. But for those of us who demand a panel that meets or exceeds the fps of our sim box, it's polling system makes it NOT worth a penny.
    --->>>[DG]<<<---

25+ Posting Member

Have to agree about Simplugins, horrible performance. I use PM's GAIFR for FSX, but SimAvio, which i think is the best GA suite availabe, for XPX.

I'm a novice to flight sim. I use Panel Builder 2.31. I think it's fantastic.
    I'm running it from a 2nd PC on a 17" and two 8" usb monitors.

It works straight from the box, no secondary software needed.
    The gauges run silky smooth and don't hit my fps.

Sizing and positioning is simple using the mouse and scroll wheel.
    The range on some gauges, such as the airspeed indicator can be easily adjusted to suit your aicraft.
    My set up is for the Cessna 172 and panel builder might suit smaller aircraft better, multiple engines are covered.

If like me, you find a lot of the software available, daunting, this is a great add on that is simple to use and I would be happy to recommend.

Regards,
    Mark