Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Arduino vs Leo Bodnar

Hey guys, first time poster! Been reading these forums for a lil while now. Im getting ready to start on my homemade OH panel.

I couldnt find much info after searching (maybe not looking correctly) but I interested in I/O interfacing.

First does the Arduino come as a plug and play like the leos card? By that I am referring to soldering on the board. I am horrible at soldering and new to electronics.

I like the idea of being able to just plug the wire into leos board. The problem (if you call it that) is that Leos board is a little more expensive, and they sell the Arduino Mega 2560 at my local electronics store (radio shack). So I could pick this board up for $65 US and no shipping charges.

It also seems that the Arduino mega has a lot more inputs including the ability to output led (for annunciaters).

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated, I know there are some VERY talented and educated folks on these forums.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Arduino vs Leo Bodnar

Hi Ffwayne88,

Don't forget to give these consideration (Pokeys Card) simple to use and no programming. I have used nothing but these so far.
    http://www.flightsimparts.eu/Simulator_PoKeys_USB.html

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

150+ Forum Groupie

Bernie,
    Have you used the Pokeys with anything other than ProSim? I know ProSim has native support for Pokeys but I'm not sure how easy interfacing is to other applications.

Bryn

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brynjames View Post
    Bernie,
    Have you used the Pokeys with anything other than ProSim? I know ProSim has native support for Pokeys but I'm not sure how easy interfacing is to other applications.

Bryn
    They can be used in FS9 or FSX with no external software at all!!! Great flexibility that far surpasses the above mentioned devices.

Thanks Bernie,

I'm kind of trying to avoid shipping, I see the pokeys is similar in price to the arduino. Less inputs however.

I'm trying to interface an OH panel with the PMDG. Will the pokeys work with that?

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by ffwayne88 View Post
    Thanks Bernie,

I'm kind of trying to avoid shipping, I see the pokeys is similar in price to the arduino. Less inputs however.

I'm trying to interface an OH panel with the PMDG. Will the pokeys work with that?

Contact Wendy at her site and she will give you all the information you need or she also has a thread running here http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...-USB-Interface

These boards are so easy to use and so versatile. Wendy has made some LED extension boards for them and is currently working on 7 Segment display boards as you may have seen on the site. My overhead that I am making is being done with these cards also my Homemade MCP & EFIS. I am also using Prosim737 which is auto configured using the Pokeys Cards. Here is their Forum http://prosim737.com/forum/index.php...d0bc05884ee841

Edit: Looking at Wendy's site, it appears that the shipping is included on the Pokeys Cards.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by brynjames View Post
    Bernie,

Bryn
    Hi Bryn,

The Pokeys card comes with it's own simple to use configuration software and has a number of peripherals that it can simulate. Download the manual and have a read at what it is capable of. http://www.poscope.com/uploads/files/PoKeys.pdf

Kind Regards

Bernie

500+ This must be a daytime job

I have a buo836x card. For switch inputs nothing could be simpler. Rotary encoders are possible, and can even be made to work well with acceleration with some coding.

I have just ordered an arduino UNO off eBay for less than $20. I intend to use it to run servos for gauges. Can't comment on how easy this may be yet.

Hope that helps,

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...