Thread: Boeing 747-400

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing 747-400

Hi everyone. Just wanted to get some input from those more experienced than I. I'm looking for some good glass cockpit software for a Boeing 747-400 sim I'm building using FSX. Project Magenta is a bit out of my price range. Any other suggestions?

As always, thank you very much!

10+ Posting Member

Re: Boeing 747-400

Any suggestions? Right now, the only solution I've been able to come up with that seems to be stable is using AeroAvionics 737 software. Not ideal.

25+ Posting Member

If you're not limiting your options to MS FS, you might want to consider the following.

I am using XHSI 2 (beta) with X-Plane 9 to fly the 737. XHSI is open source software, version 1 only features the ND. Beta versions of version 2 feature PFD, ND, EICAS (both lower & upper), annunciators and even taxi charts.

The beta version of version 2 of XHSI can be downloaded from x-plane.org (see forums), X-Plane 9 can be downloaded as a demo version, so you can check this out without spending a dime.

XHSI can als be configured to run on a networked PC to offload the main PC.

4. Thanks AdnFly thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Here !!!!!!!

(more than) SUPERB

http://aerowinx.de/forum/topic.php?i...npl99olfmvj595

Hessel
    767 Level-D

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

The Boeing 747-400 is a major development and the best-selling model of the Boeing 747 family of jet airliners.

If you are willing to spent a few dollar (far less then on PM anyway) and buy the 747 add-on from PMDG you can get quit far on creating an excellent glass cockpit. PFD, ND and upper and lower eicas are clickable. If you do so the particuar instrument will show in a seperate window which can be dragged an dropped anyware on your monitor(s).
    Also these windows can be resized as well to fit. Finally, after you done so on all you want to see on your glass cockpit, save it as a situation and next time you take another trip just start up that particular situation and all screens will appear where you left them.

I did explain this to another forum member a little while ago but can't find it just now but I'm sure if you do a search om PMDG747 you are very likely to find it.

Cheers,

Martin
    2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3 GB Mem ATI HD 3650
    Vista/FS9.1/PMDG747/UTEurope/MEGAX Frankfurt/Cloud9 EHAM

Flying is easy: move the stick forward - houses get bigger. Pull the stick back - houses get smaller again

As far as I know, Project Magenta is currently the only avionics suite that provides a dedicated 747 solution, and almost all 747 home cockpit solutions I've heard of, use it. So if you do not want to pay the PM prices, Martin's proposal seems to be a good alternative.

However, there is a 747 sim in the UK that uses another software approach. A quote from the web site: "The main Software used for the 747 Systems and Instruments is Aerowinx Precision Simulator (PS1) This is very accurate and has an excellent flight model. We currently use Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 for Visuals and some sounds only."
    I assume that this way needs some programming to couple the two solutions, but probably you can get in contact with the guy and ask him how he did it.

From my own experience in simulator building I would like to add, that the price for the avionics solution is quite marginal compared to the hardware costs of a full featured cockpit, especially when you are planning to build a 747.

Best regards,
    Michael
    B738: 3,892 orders and counting...
    My cockpit building blog can be visited here.

Michael is right, I should have mentioned PS1 as well. The current version is actually a CBT but is used as the basis for home cockpits by a number of builders. The outside view reminds me of the early version of simulators like ATP (remember?) so it abosolutely requires MS for the views. There is however a wealth of interface available to 'connect' to MS.
    Also PS1 is not as 'closed' as many of the other simulators/add-ons are and basically every switch, button or rotary can be managed from an external source. The same hold true for exporting data from PS1 any external source.

As we speak a windows based version is in the makes; loads of info can be found here:

http://www.aerowinx.com/forum/forum....hbc86nodjlfia2

When this version will be released is afaik still unknown. So if you can't wait try the PMDG route (IMHO PM is a rip-off).

Kind regards,

Martin
    2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3 GB Mem ATI HD 3650
    Vista/FS9.1/PMDG747/UTEurope/MEGAX Frankfurt/Cloud9 EHAM

Flying is easy: move the stick forward - houses get bigger. Pull the stick back - houses get smaller again